Prologue

In the middle of the night a group of 5 riders, clad in dark robes, was passing through a forest, whose trees were so dense that not even in the middle of the day a single sun ray would touch the ground. The person riding on the tip was a man, maybe 40 years old, with a stern face, carrying a bow on his back.

"At this pace we should be back at the capital in around 10 days."

The second rider, a man in his mid-twenties addressed the leader.

"As soon as we get out of this damn forest, we have to find a place to restock our provisions. We couldn't take everything with us when we had to retreat."

Added the fourth rider, a woman also in her mid-twenties. She was equipped with several daggers on her belt.

"I wish we could take the usual route, so we did not have to worry about supplies."

Said the second rider.

"If you really want to, go on. I don't want to get any closer to this godforsaken place than absolutely necessary."

The fifth rider's reaction was harsh. He had a spear on his back and he wore a mask.

"Me neither, just saying I wish the useless soldiers of the Re-Estize kingdom were not so... well useless. That way, they would not have lost their city to that monster."

"There was nothing they could have done. If you want to curse somebody, curse the traitors of the Empire that allied themselves with that monster."

The woman, now with her hood put down, defended them while putting a strand of blond hair aside that fell into her face.

"Enough with the idle chat, we are still inside enemy territory. Pay a little bit more attention to your surroundings. The border to the council state is close. We could encounter them at any moment. Show some dignity as members of the Holocaust Scripture."

The man at the tip, apparently their leader, disciplined his subordinates without turning around.

After that the group continued their journey in silence for about 20 minutes. Then, without any warning the third rider, a young man around 18 or 19 shouted.

"That was a mistake. We should not have withdrawn. Captain, why did you order us to retreat? We should have pressed the attack to kill the other thing, but you let it escape."

While venting his anger, the man directed his horse next to the captain at the front.

"There was no other option, we only expected one, but not two. We could not have killed the second one and survived. We accomplished our mission to kill the abomination so there was no reason for unnecessary risks."

"Captain That's unacceptable. It is our holy duty to exterminate pests like these. Letting it escape just for safety comes close to blasphemy."

"Vice-captain, you better watch your mouth."

The captain, emphasizing the young man's lower rank, admonished him.

"There's a right time and place for everything, but fighting him today and at his terrain was definitely not right. So, calm down."

"Just because you are afraid of it does not mean..."

"Shut up you fool"

The captain, clearly enraged, grabbed the vice-captain by his collar and pulled him closer to him, revealing his short blond hair and blue eyes

"We ambushed him, outnumbered him eight to one and used some of the artifacts and look what he did to us".

He pointed at the sixth horse, not mounted by a rider, but packed with 3 body-sized bags.

"It took us nearly one month to set up this trap and it was successful. Yet he still managed to kill three of our comrades, while heavily wounded and poisoned. On top of that, the one we killed was pretty old and weakened. The other one was young and at full strength. When you think you can take it on, knock yourself out and go back. I will report we could not retrieve your body when we get back."

The young man, now clearly pale faced gulped loudly, then averted his eyes.

"Thought so."

The Captain let go of him and locked back at the path.

The other three riders fell a little bit back when their two superiors started arguing. They whispered, clearly uncomfortable with this situation.

"I know vice-captain Agurun is said to be a protégée, for which reason the cardinal pressed for his promotion to vice-captain, but I think this is getting to his head."

Said the woman.

"I have not seen much of protégée during the fight, he has no talent for coordinated attacks or teamwork. His stealth talents are not that good either, I wonder what the cardinal sees in him. I suspect he got his advantageous treatment by connections, rather than his abilities."

Responded the young man.

"It is not up to us to doubt the decisions made by the cardinals. It is our duty to carry out orders."

Said the scarred man while signaling his comrades to tone down a little.

"Come on Sleagar, were you not the one who called him a snot nosed brat without any experience and an ego as big as the central cathedral?"

"I was drunk and you know it, Iota."

The woman responded snickering

"Yes, but you never deny that statement when we ask."

"Hmm"

"Well, seems like they settled their argument. We should catch up to them and hurry back to the capital. Hopefully they can resurrect those three without problems. We are not up for any big missions while undermanned."

With this sentence, the young man interrupted the little quarrel his comrades had.

"I worry more about the time we get to retrain. I heard they already plan to send us to the Elven Kingdom as soon as possible."

The woman expressed her worries.

"Uh, not again. I am so sick of this place. I wish the higher ups would finally make up their mind about them."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean they should settle this matter once and for all. Make up with them or finally wage full-fledged war. I am OK with either of them. But this permanent skirmish really strains the nerves of everyone involved."

After the group continued their trip for nearly 4 more hours, they got to the edge of the forest and saw the first light of dawn at the horizon, dying the sky deep red.

"I don't like a blood sky"

Muttered the young man.

"Do you really believe in that nonsense?"

Asked Iota mockingly.

"My Grandmother used to tell me that the day that begins with a deep red sky is destined to be a bad one, for as long as I can remember."

Little did he know that his grandmother should be proven right in this case.