Nonetheless, the way she had given up initiating friendship with her peers, Nyx had also lost the heart to understand the reason why they treated her as though she were just a mere shadow of all that they avoided. 

She had convinced herself that it wasn't bad like it seemed - she didn't bother anyone, no one bothered her. 

It was sad, yes, but life wasn't only rainbows and fairy dust.

Presently, Nyx followed her schoolmates in the direction of the double doors that led them away from the one place they needed a break from. 

Her hands were tucked in the pockets of her baggy jean jacket, sinking in deeper to hug it closer to herself, it being the only warmth she had while she watched her peers with a blue smile. 

Just because she had accepted her solitary didn't mean it had quenched the itch of loneliness that lurked in her heart like a constant reminder of what she didn't have.

Wanting to drown out the brew of lively laughter and sunny joy that only she wasn't feeling, Nyx searched her bag for earphones and her cell phone. 

Before she could even begin to sort out the irritating tangles that the colorless wire got into all the damn time, a shoulder rammed right into hers, sending her stumbling a step forward and forcing the devices out of her grip. 

Whoever had knocked into her in hasty excitement wasn't polite enough to turn around and apologize, or even acknowledge the damage caused.

"Fight on the grounds!" the faceless boy simply yelled out in information.

Now this, the announcement of the unfolding of a violent event, caught the attention of the crowd in entirety. 

Fights weren't exactly a rare or alien occurrence in Auradon High, there had been countless colorful brawls with overused insults, and some of them included the involvement of fists too. Even then, those participating in the scrimmage had managed to get in only a couple of sloppy hits before a staff member intervened, ending the embarrassment right there.

Judging by how quickly and determinedly her peers were turning what had previously been a relaxed walk into a hasty circus, Nyx could only guess who was involved in this 'fight' mentioned not even five seconds ago. 

As if a single hit to the shoulder wasn't enough, the girl was sent pushing side to side and back and forth like a ping pong ball lost in a huddle of wild animals let loose, so many elbows stabbed at her sides with absolutely no care of their insensitivity. 

Her attention, though, was targeted on watching her cell phone tumble down the stone stairs as everyone kicked it around, her earphones long lost in the jungle of shoes.

Although it felt like a painful eternity, the crowd had vanished and moved on in the snap of a finger. 

Nyx reached for her phone, picking it up from the ground and wiping the dusty screen with her palm. She examined her newly cracked screen with a defeated sigh, it was badly damaged, a reflection of how carelessly her schoolmates had stomped down on it. 

Clutching the broken gadget in her hands, Nyx's flaming eyes followed the huddle of easily entertained teenagers racing each other to get closer to the growing circle in the distance, their twisted minds looking for amusement just as twisted.

This ruckus could only be made for one person, someone who wanted none of this nonsense.

Nyx wasn't a fan of fights, she hardly ever lingered to watch any. 

This particular one, though, was going to send at least one of the concerned individuals back with a broken bone or possibly more. 

She only wanted to see if her hunch was right or not, there was no other reason for the brunette to walk in the direction of where the mass had gathered.