Prologue

Copyright © 2013 Lauren Ashley

All Rights Reserved.

Therefore, all the characters and/or plot that you will read about in my story is mine.

These locations however are not part of my creation. They are real places, I did not create them.

Any portion of my book may not be reproduced in any manner, other than brief quotations in reviews and such, without my consent.

: : PROLOGUE : :

"You don't realize what you have, until it's gone."

Aubrey

"C'mon Bree! It's time to go! The movers just left and we have to meet them at the new house! Hurry up!" I hear my mom calling up the stairs. But at this moment, I couldn't care less.

I know what you're thinking, good-girl Aubrey Moore, disobeying her mother? Unheard of! . . .Not really. I'm nowhere near the perfect child my mom wants me to be, and with my dad away on business all the time, makes everything that much harder. I have to pretend it doesn't bother me that I almost never see him. I also have to pretend that I don't cry myself to sleep most nights thinking of my late sister, Rosemary (Rosey, for short.) But I'll save that story for another time.

Let me explain what's going on right now. My dad travels with his work and I almost never see him, as I just explained. And my sister, Rosemary died only about a year ago, and I'm still not over it, obviously. My mother thought it would be good for a change of scenery, considering everything in this town reminds me of her. The house, the shops, the school, and especially flowers. Mostly roses, for obvious reasons, but just flowers in general. She was much like a flower. Beautiful. No matter the situation, she could make you smile..... Onto why we're moving, everything is a memory. And I don't want to remember anymore. Remembering and mourning got me nowhere. It's time to move on, with a new start.

The thing is, I love my house. No matter the bad memories, there are many more good ones here. Especially my room. When I was 12, I was really into painting, and for a birthday present, I got to paint my room. I decided to paint one wall like a garden. A whole bunch of flowers and pretty trees, green grass...Just peaceful. My other walls are black with quotes on every square inch, in a multitude of colors. These particular walls took me months to do, but it was well worth it. They are so beautiful, and I just can't bare to leave them. Of course, to 'make me feel better', my mother said I could paint my new walls too, but what was the real point in that? I'm 17, about to start my senior year, at a new school, in a new state. I'll be moving out very soon, why waste my time?

So at this moment, I am sitting on a blanket, on the floor, in the middle of my room, just marveling at my masterpiece. I know I have to go soon, I just can't bear the thought of not living here anymore. I've been here since before I can remember...

I hear footsteps on the stairs, echoing throughout my now empty house. That thought alone nearly gets me to shed a tear. But not now. Not until we have a new home, and I can safely cry into my pillow, where no one can hear me. I must be strong. Especially for mom. She couldn't deal with me being weak.

"Bree. Did you not hear me?? I said let's go!" I feel myself being pulled up by the arm, no point in resisting, she'll only get madder than she is already.

"Yeah, I heard...I just don't want to leave the only place I've ever known.." I mumble. She gives me a look of sorrow, obviously not wanting to leave either, but it's too late now. Plus this will be good for us...

I think.

===

After a very long drive full of awkward silences and some very weird topics of conversation, we arrive at our new home. In a small town, on the outskirts of Dallas, Texas. Until now, I'd never heard of a town named Frisco, but I guess you learn something new everyday.

Bye-bye Oklahoma.

And hello, Frisco.

I really hope this was worth it.

===

All too soon, I'm being registered at Centennial High School. Where the school colors are red, white, and blue.

How original.

Note my sarcasm.

The staff seems friendly enough...I just wonder how my classmates will be... But I'm not all that worried, merely curious. I'm not here for friends anyway. I'm here to study, make good grades, graduate, and move on with my life.

Frisco Centennial High School is just another bump in the road.