The Vanishing Glass

           ***********************************************************************************

"Up! Get up! Now!"

Petunia Dursley shouted, pounding on the small wooden door that hid the cupboard under the stairs. Harry and Hailey woke with a start, the female nearly hitting her head on the wall to her left. The woman smacked the door again.

"Up!"

She shrieked, startling the two children huddled together out of their slumber. Half of Harry's skinny body was draped over his sister, his head lolled against her chest and his right leg slung over hers. Hailey had sat up from her horizontal position on the lumpy, tiny cot she shared with her brother, resting her weight on her forearms. A yawn tore its way out of her mouth as she looked down at Harry who buried his face into her t-shirt with a sleepy groan. She didn't want to get up, the only time of her life she seemed to enjoy were those spent with Harry and those spent sleeping. At least when she was sleeping she could forget the rest of the world and just cling to her twin brother and allow his warmth to lull her into a slumber. But all good things came to an end, unfortunately. She placed a small hand on her brother's shoulder, gently shaking him.

"Harry, we need to wake up before Aunt Petunia comes yelling-"

"Are you two up yet?"

Their aunt's voice cut the air, causing the young girl to huff in annoyance.

"Nearly."

Harry answered, his voice slightly muffled as he pushed himself begrudgingly away from his sister's warm body.

"Well, get a move on you two, I want you to look after the bacon. And don't you dare let it burn. I want everything perfect on Duddy's birthday."

Hailey scoffed. If there was one thing she despised, it was the Dursley's, the only living relatives she and Harry had besides each other.

"What was that?"

Aunt Petunia snapped through the door.

"Nothing, nothing..."

Harry replied. When he heard his Aunt's footsteps retreat back into the kitchen, he let out a heavy sigh, turning towards his twin. Their little cupboard was so small and crammed that they couldn't even sleep without being practically on top of each other. Not that they minded that part much; they liked knowing someone was there for them, enjoyed the warmth they provided each other despite the cold and cramped space.

"Dudley's birthday. Yay."

Hailey retorted sarcastically, reaching onto the floor to find on a pair of socks which she slipped on over her feet. Both she and Harry were clad in baggy t-shirts and flannel pajamas, hers being red and his being blue. Harry flicked a small spider off of his own sock and pulled them on his feet, then put his round glasses on over his eyes which were still heavy with tiredness. Hailey wore contacts instead of glasses, but Harry didn't like the way they felt in his eyes.