El sent James an impressed smile, giving his hand a small squeeze, he was yet to speak since she had woken up. "Can we go home?" she asked, to which James only nodded.

"Take these," Marlene handed El the vials she was holding, "blood replenishing potion, a painkilling potion and an invigoration draught."

"Thanks, Marls."

Sirius, Marlene and Dorcas moved out the way so James could help El stand, carrying most her weight against him. James and Marlene's eyes connected, he sent her his best apologetic glance to which he smiled in return.

"And no alcohol," she instructed, "it's bad for the wound."

"I'm not making any promises on that one," El said with a small smirk before James disapparated them both away.

"Bath?" El suggested almost the second they arrived.

He nodded, guiding her through to the bathroom and placing her down on the closed toilet seat as he turned on the taps.

They waited for the tub to fill in silence, James helping El remove the torn clothing from her body then easing her into the warm water before slipping in behind her. She lay between his legs with her back pressed against the skin of his bare chest.

"You're being really quiet," El broke the thick silence.

"I don't know what to say," he muttered against her shoulder. "I'm still angry. I would've killed Harby if Marlene didn't stop me."

"Believe me, i wanna kill him as well."

"I was so fucking scared, El, i don't know what i'd do if you—fuck," he couldn't bring himself to finish the sentence.

"I'm fine, James, relax, your hairline isn't gonna thank you for all this stress."

For the first time that day, James laughed. "I'd still look just as amazing as i do now."

"Ahh there's the James i know and tolerate. Your greying hair hasn't caused your ego to get any smaller, i see," El chuckled.

"I have no reason for it to get smaller, i'm a work of art."

"Hmm," El neither confirmed or denied, his ego didn't need stroking, but there was a reason she never put bubbles in the baths they had together.

James let out another laugh, "you agree with me."

"That's not what i said," El shrugged, holding back a wince at the pain that struck when she laughed.

***

The pair laid down in bed an hour later after what had felt like the longest day of their lives. Thanks to Marlene, El's wound was healing quickly under the layer of fresh bandages and the colour had now returned to her face.

She shifted to find a comfortable position, James furrowed his brows, "are you still in pain?"

"Nothing i can't handle."

James got out of bed to retrieve the painkilling potion from the other room and forced the vial into her hand. "Stop trying to be so tough, if your in pain, tell me."