Eleanor stares at Fergus before sighing, beginning to speak.

"Merida, all this work, all the time we spent preparing you, schooling you, giving you everything we never had, I ask you, what do you expect us to do?"

~ ~

"Call off the gathering!" Merida exclaimed, almost as if having the same conversation with Eleanor as she fixed Hamichs stall, (Y/N) watching from beside Hamich. "Would that kill them? You're the queen, you can tell the lords the princess is not ready for this."

(Y/N couldn't help but frown as she listened to Merida speak. "In fact, she might not ever be ready for this, so that's that. Looking forward to your declarations of war in the morning."

~ ~

"I understand this must all seem unfair," Eleanor continued, pacing in front of Fergus. "Even I have reservations when I faced betrothal." Fergus gave Eleanor an almost offended look, but kept quiet as Eleanor continued to speak. "We can't just run away from who we are."

~ ~

"I don't want my life to be over! I want my freedom!"

~ ~

But are you willing to pay the price your freedom will cost?

~ ~

"I'm not doing any of this to hurt you!

~ ~

"If you could just try to see what I do, I do out of love."

~ ~

"But it's my life! It's-... I'm just not ready!"

~ ~

"I think you'd see, if you could just..."

~ ~

"I think I could make you understand, if you would just..."

~ ~

"Listen!"

~ ~

"LISTEN!"

Merida ends up face to face with (Y/N), who immediately wrapped her in a comforting hug. Merida sighed, hugging (Y/N) and resting her head on her shoulder.

"I swear, (Y/N), this isn't going to happen." She spoke, determination lacing her voice. "Not if I have any say in it."

~ ~ ~ ~

~ Days later ~

Merida groaned in annoyance as Eleanor threw the baby blue dress in her direction, intentionally or unintentionally, smacking her in the face with it.

Eleanor then plopped Merida down, beginning to pull the brush through her curly, tangly hair. "Ah, Mum!"

"Sit still, Merida!"

After her hair was as straight as possible, Eleanor began to lace up the corset around Merida's waist, pulling it incredibly tight and taking practically all the air from Merida's lungs. After, Eleanor shoved the lightblue dress over Merida's head and tightened it before shoving all her hair inside the white cover that went from her neck and stopped around her face.

Finally finished, Eleanor stepped back to admire her work, Merida looking miserable as she struggled to move or breathe.

A knock on the door made Eleanor turn and open the door, revealing (Y/N). Instead of her usual (f/c) dress, she wore a pale (f/c) dress that went down to her ankles, black flats on her feet as well.

"Ah, (Y/N), good. Come in, tell me what you think." Eleanor turned, walking back into the room with (Y/N) on her trail.

Merida and (Y/N) met eyes, and a sympathetic look almost immediatly made its way to (Y/N)'s eyes as she observed Merida's outfit.

"You look absolutely beautiful." Eleanor mussed, her hands over her mouth.

"I...can't breathe." Merida choked out, (Y/N) wincing slightly.

"Give us a twirl." Stiffly, Merida hopped from foot to foot until she had done a full 360.

"I..can't move." Merida exclaimed. "It's too tight!"

"It's perfect!" Eleanor spoke, smiling widely. There were a few beats of silence, and something in Eleanors eyes changed as she walked closer to Merida. "Merida?"

Merida looked over, slightly confused as well. "Mum?"

"Just..." Eleanor paused, but the look in her eye vanished as took a breath. "Remember to smile."

As Eleanor left, Merida watched her go into slight confusion before (Y/N) stepped forwards. "You look...you look very nice." She struggled to get out, trying to hide the blush on her face. "But..."

She reached up, inside the white cap covering Merida's hair and pulled out a tiny, curly lock, moving it to be just beside her eye. "There. Still Merida."

(Y/N)'s hand accidently brushed against Merida's face as she took it away, and the two finally became aware of the lack of distance between them. "I..." After a beat, (Y/N) took a sheepish step back, looking down quickly. "I'll see you...downstairs. All right?"

"Yeah, I'll see you...downstairs." As (Y/N) left the room, Merida sighed and sat on the edge of her bed in defeat.

~ ~ 

(I'm trying to update as frequently as I can, but also, thank you for almost 200 reads! I'm glad you all are enjoying the book so far!)😊