Sapphires and Silver

"Is he cute? Have you met him? Shijie, who's taller, him or me? Is he funny? TELL ME!"

Jiang Yanli laughed. Since Wei Wuxian found out about the arranged marriage proposal, he had been hounding Yanli with questions about Lan Wangji. She tried to answer him, but his questions were never ending.

Wei Wuxian had always liked the idea of getting married. His parents were happily married, and he found the idea of having a lover appealing since he was very young. The only problem with this arrangement was that he didn't know the person he would be engaged to, but that problem was solved when Wangji was invited to Lotus Pier.

Wei Wuxian didn't know much about Lan Wangji, but he knew their mothers were friends. The women, who were both free spirited, got along well. Wei Wuxian hoped that Lady Lan's son would be like her, so they would get along well.

Lan Wangji was set to arrive the next day. Wei Wuxian was jumping around Lotus Pier excitably, buzzing and chattering with everyone he could see. After a while, Jiang Cheng got annoyed with him and threatened to release his guard dog on Wei Wuxian if he didn't shut up.

Wei Wuxian liked puppies, sure, but Jiang Cheng's guard dog, Phantom, was a nasty piece of work. He only listened to Jiang Cheng and Yanli, and he had bitten Wei Wuxian once. The threat quietened Wei Wuxian at once.

"Are you really that excited to get married and leave me alone?"

"Jiang Cheng! I won't leave you. Besides, you find me annoying most of the time and even threaten me with Phantom. Shouldn't you be happy about me finally being out of your skin?"

Jiang Cheng got angry at that. "You... You fool! Go away! Don't talk to me!" He stormed off, angry as usual. Wei Wuxian laughed as he went. The only problem was, he was now bored. But that problem solved itself when the Yunmeng Jiang disciples decided to go for a swim nearby, in a pond behind the inn that one of the disciples' parents owned.

So they set off, humming and noisy. Everyone in Yunmeng knew them, and they stopped at stalls to grab snacks, candies and whatnot. Wei Wuxian ended up with a Hawthorn Candy and some dumplings without knowing where he got them from.

Suddenly, the conversation turned towards Wei Wuxian's upcoming engagement.

"Wei Shixiong, tomorrow is an important day."
"Don't sleep in like you always do!"
"We have to be there to greet him too, right? I can't wait to see Shixiong's future husband!"

The person who was being showered with all these comments could not help but laugh. "What future husband? Let me meet him at least. You silly kids, you know nothing of love and romance. Leave it to your Shixiong!"

By this time, the boys had arrived at the inn. They ran to the pond like mad men, taking off their robes and jumping into it.

"Shixiong, join us! You won't be able to accompany us for a while once your husband is here. Do the big jump!"

The disciples began cheering. Wei Wuxian was known for his special dive, a noisy but flashy move which his juniors really liked. Laughing, Wei Wuxian jumped. It was as if he had thrown his worries, apprehensions and excitement about his upcoming engagement to the wind. Today Wei Wuxian would play like no other.

With a loud splash, Wei Wuxian landed in the water and was immediately surrounded by the disciples. They laughed and marveled at his technique, which none of them could somehow emulate.

Suddenly, Wei Wuxian noticed someone on the shore. He couldn't really see clearly, because his dripping wet hair covered his eyes, so he pushed them out of the way. The man who stood there was very tall, attractive and on seeing Wei Wuxian he seemed to turn pink.