WHAT SHE REALLY WANT?

You're dating her, are you?” chae threw me a mischievous look as she poked my cheek. “Come on. Say it.”

    “Sorry to burst your bubble but we're not.” I laughed, moving my face away from her. “Bakit mo naman natanong?”

    “Hindi ako pinanganak kahapon, Dubs.” Her smile became more irritating. “You two always go out for a coffee after classes. There must be something fishy going on with you two.”

    “Pinipilit niyo talagang gusto ko siya, 'no?”

    “Bakit, hindi ba?”

    Natahimik ako sa tanong niya hanggang sa mapabuntong-hininga ako. I never thought Chae would also think this way. I mean, Tzuyu and I are just friends; she’s too precious and I want our friendship to last forever.

    “Silence means yes?”

    “Knock it off!” I jokingly punched her arm and chuckled. Call me a coward all you want but… “Turning a friendship into a relationship is too risky, chae. I won’t take the risk.”

    This time, she was the one who went quiet. She probably got my point—

    “But she likes you.”

    —or not.

    “She doesn't, okay?” I retorted as though convincing her, or so myself. “You're just over-analyzing this too much.”

    “It's obvious, bro! Kitang-kita ko 'yon sa tuwing tinitingnan ka niya. Hindi mo man lang ba 'yon napapansin?”

    I gazed at her weirdly. Ano bang sinasabi niya? Wala namang pinagkaiba ang pagtingin—

    In a blink of my eyes, Tzuyu's face flashed right through my mind. She was in front of me. She was smiling ear to ear, making her ebony-black eyes tinier. She was glowing; her cheeks were rosy red while her eyes were twinkling from the sun ray’s kiss.

    My lips parted in awe.

    Was this always the face she has been showing me since then? Gusto ba talaga ako ni Tzu?

    “Aren't you even bothered that you might lose her if you don't talk about this with her?”

    Chae's voice along with her scary question returned me to reality. I eyed her as my body tensed.

    Of course, I am bothered but— “I… don't know. I don't wanna think about it.” Kung iisipin ko ‘to lalo, baka kung ano pang sagot ang makuha ko.

    “Hindi mo ba siya gusto?”

    Natahimik ako. Now, that's a more terrifying question to answer.

    I looked away. My mouth was completely sealed.

    She sighed and tapped my shoulder. “Soon enough, you'll either confront her, or she'll do it. I just hope when that time comes, you already know what to answer, bro.”

    I smiled faintly. “Yeah, I hope so too... Thanks, chae.”

    My phone alarmed inside my pocket. It was a sign that my classes would start five minutes from now.

    I took my bag on the ground and glanced at Chae. “Mauuna na ako.”

    “Sige.”

    I turned my back at her. However, that didn't stop my mind from bothering me with the conversation we just had a while ago.

    “Hindi mo ba siya gusto?”

    I sighed.

    I'm not really sure if I want to do something romantic with Tzuyu. The stakes just felt too high; being in a relationship with a friend that I had no plans to lose is the last thing I want to happen.