"That garden seems familiar." I whispered to myself, feeling pleased at the sight. My grandpa must've heard me as he began to speak. "It is my obligation as someone who loves you to tell you, sweetheart. If you decide to return, your life will never return to how it used to be. It will be painful at first, you might even regret choosing to stay, but like all things, time will heal your sorrow." I took in his words carefully, letting them reverberate all throughout my mind before settling on what to ask him.

"And if I choose to leave with you?" I studied his reaction, his eyes only softened as he gave me a saddened look, bending to a vinyl record player that was lodged into the dirt. His hands lifted it slightly, brushing off the earthy crumbs as he placed his hand inside his sweater. He pulled out a disc, placing it on the record player before moving the tone arm to touch the record. At once, a beautiful piano melody began to play.

"Come, Florence." I went to him, placing my hands on his shoulders as he placed his on my sides. We began spinning around slowly, both of us giving light smiles to each other as we moved to the rhythm of the music. The wind breezed through our hair in ease, lifting it slightly as the grass seemed to be dancing with us. I studied the creases of his face, the way his eyes were exactly like mine. We both watched each other, wanting to relish in each other's presence.

"Look to your side, child." I abided by his words, glancing out to his left as I saw two figures standing meters away from us. I hummed in confusion, squinting my brows before loosening them in shock.

The two figures were also dancing, but they were pressed tightly to each other in romantic affection. Only one was distinguishable while the other remained an entity floating about and clinging to the girl who waltzed around with the most smitten appearance donning her features. She laughed in a carefree manner, pressing her face close to the other person as the entity returned the gesture, hands could be seen as they cupped her face, the spirit-like creature moving its head to hers. My grandfather and I were still rotating slowly, but my eyes remained glued to the pair.

The girl was me.

The entity suddenly released the other version of myself, leaning back as they held hands until it faded away. She turned to look to the woods, her ankle-length dress shifted to a tight body suit with different gadgets attached to her waist, wrist, and ankles, all of it seemed too familiar. I watched as she cheered, left arm in the air as she cried out victoriously while the other arm was holding a small child who had their legs looped around her waist. The little girl had white, lengthy hair that reached to her lower back while she clung to that strong version of who I was. Who I am.

That's right. I'm a hero.

The child faded away, and I saw myself shed the hero costume into a sweatshirt with tattered shorts. That outfit was the same one I wore when I got kidnapped. The music had ended, and I turned to my grandfather to see that he was studying me. I looked back to that replica of me to see that she was already staring as well, a single hand extended in my direction, beckoning me to join her.

"She's waiting for you," Grandpa whispered, tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear before releasing me. For the first time since I woke up here, I became fearful. "What about you? What if it's hard when I wake up?" I grabbed his hands one last time, looking into his expression to see whether he was worried for me.

He wasn't. He sighed, pressing his fingers against my eyebrows to smoothen them out. "I've already moved on, my sweet little girl. I just need you to decide, and choosing to live is the hardest decision you'll ever make, but that's what makes your future so beautiful." He wrapped an arm around my shoulder, bringing me to him as I returned the hug, making sure to embrace him with all my might, I knew it would be the last time I'd see him.

Aestheteजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें