Chapter 15 (Edited)

Christmas is most truly Christmas when we celebrate it by giving the light of love to those who need it most. - Ruth Carter Stapleton

The booming sounds of the music system vibrated through the walls of the event hall.

   Tara stepped up the marble stairs leading to the hall. After one more mistake, she held the box of cake that she successfully made. Without the support of her mother and the guidance of her Father in heaven, she wouldn't have been able to do it.

The red and gold drapes that covered the walls were regal.  The gold lights that curled around the enormous Christmas tree added to its breathtaking view.

Students scattered around, playing with their friends while their parents mingled with each other.

Tara looked lovely in her simple pink and purple flared Ankara dress. (Picture below)

Her dressing style has always revolved around being simple

Her dressing style has always revolved around being simple. Plain t-shirts, shorts, and simple dresses and skirts make up her wardrobe.

Her legs carried her to the food section and she placed the box of cake on the table alongside other dishes of tantalizing foods. She nodded in greeting at the servers stationed there. Her eyes stopped on a tray of donuts and her taste buds tickled with longing.

Her stomach rumbled in hunger; she picked up one and munched on it. As she chewed in relish; from the corner of her eyes, she noticed a lady with a ridiculous amount of make-up on her face.

She almost toppled over in laughter. The lady looked like a plastic doll. On further inspection, she realized the lady was none other than her mother's friend and colleague, Claudia.

With that understanding, her surprise disappeared.

She approached Claudia to exchange pleasantries. "Good afternoon, Aunty Claudia. How are you today?"

Claudia looked up with a tight-lipped smile and a nose scrunched up in distaste. "Hi dearie; gosh, I am so exhausted." She fanned herself with so much vigor, that Tara was worried her hand would become numb.

Tara smiled in sympathy. "You can take a break; I am sure the servers can do things themselves."

Claudia huffed in dissatisfaction and exclaimed, "Gosh! I don't want to be here." The green neon lights glistened on her bright red lipstick.

She swung her long brown wig over her shoulder and went on. "I didn't plan on spending my Monday dealing with novices; I would have been at home enjoying a chilled glass of red wine and a fashion magazine for entertainment."