Chapter 5

Julie couldn't sleep. Luckily today was Sunday so she didn't have to worry about spacing out in class, but that didn't mean she wanted to be awake. Her mind just kept going over everything that had happened in the past 36 hours. Living like this was exhausting. She loved the boys, but they did add an extra layer of stress. They still weren't sure if they were still ghosts. Alex had said he would try to find out if his friend Willie knew anything (yeah right – everyone knew that boy was a goner) tomorrow... which meant today. Julie looked at her phone – 4:28am. How was that even possible! She knew it would be hours before anyone else woke up. She decided she might as well be productive if she was going to be awake.

She thought about what was troubling her the most... Luke. She was so confused. One minute he was flirty, and then the next like a brother and then again totally irrational. But that didn't stop her heart beating like mad whenever she saw him. And yet, she looked at the flowers on her desk... Nick. The spark wasn't there anymore, but maybe it could be? It's not as if there was a magic switch that made her going from crushing on him to not all of a sudden. AND he liked her, so there was that. She just wished there was a way to tell for sure.

If she had learned one thing from her pop culture knowledge it was never to make a pros and cons list about who you liked. How could anyone forget the infamous "She's not Rachem". And now that Julie thought of it, she realized Jennifer Aniston had the same thing happen to her again in Along Came Polly. Wow and Ben Stiller was also in Friends as a one off as Rachel's boyfriend! Wow. Now Julie's head was spinning. And she felt like Along Came Polly didn't get the credit it deserved. Well, maybe she wouldn't be productive, but she could at least watch a good movie.

- 1 hour and 31 minutes later –

Hank Azaria is also in Friends and Along Came Polly! Well that served as a great distraction. But now back to reality. Unless Julie could find something else to distract her mind... nope.

So she did the next best thing. She got out her journal, and began to write a song.

Julie had plugged her headphones into her keyboard and was trying to remember the melody that had been repeating in her mind since dance class. She had to bite back a scream when she realized Luke was standing beside her.

"What are you doing!? You can't just walk into people's rooms in the middle of the night!" Julie whisper-screamed at him.

"First off Jules, I don't know what time it is, but it's not the middle night. And secondly, I knocked a few times but you didn't hear me." He said, gesturing to the head phones. "So what are you working on that has you so distracted. Anything I can help with?" He and Julie always connected best through music, so if he was going to win her heart, he figured this was the best way to start.

"No – it's nothing. Still rough... just a tune stuck in my head."

"Well how about I help unstick it?" He said while grabbing her journal. Julie tried to grab the book back from Luke, but he was too fast.

"Luke! Boundaries!"

"This is really good Jules. I didn't know you were such a romanticccc" He said, quoting what she once said about Unsaid Emily... "Wait – this isn't about your dad is it?"

Julie rolled her eyes "No Luke. I didn't write a love song about my dad. Gross."

"So it IS a love song. The mystery man must be something special to get a Julie Molina original. Do you want to give me any clues?" Luke gave Julie his signature smirk.

You want a clue? Read the lyric – 'here in front of me', Julie thought to herself. Was it normal to get this annoyed with someone you lo-liked?

"I've already told you Luke, this is none of your business."

Luke pretended to sulk and returned her journal while pouting.

"Why did you even come in here?"

"Oh right – me and the boys are going to go walk the strip to see if we can get us a gig. You want to come?"

"Sorry, I can't this morning. But have fun?" Why did she say that? Julie knew she needed a break from Luke if she was going to reign this crush in. But did she have to sound so lame?

"We could wait till the afternoon so you could come with us." Luke countered. He really wanted to hang out with Julie. As friends, of course.

"Um, I'm going to be busy this afternoon too. School and family stuff. And Flynn. Yup, I have plans with Flynn. Big plans. Can't cancel plans. In fact, I should get ready for these plans now. So um gotta go byeeeee." She shoved Luke out of the room and slid down onto the floor.

"Have fun with your 'plans'" Luke muttered to the closed door.

***

So Julie had obviously lied to Luke. She probably was going to hang out with her mystery man. Whatever. Luke wasn't going to get jealous. Again.

***

Julie didn't know what to do. She needed advice. She had heard Alex leave with the boys 20 minutes ago, and Flynn was out with her grandparents for the day. She looked back at her phone...

Nick M.

Hey Molina

Want to go to the pier? Or we could go see a movie, or just hang out at your house.

You've been working so hard with your band, that I think you deserve a day off 😉

A winky face?! Everyone knows a winky face is not just a winky face.

Julie picked up her phone, took a deep breath, and dialed the number.

"Hey, it's me. Do you think you could come over?"

"I'll be right there."

Julie hung up the phone and went downstairs to wait.