Though when the redhead girl sits down and Gilbert is left standing there, Marianne cannot help but look back into his direction.

And this time it's as though he was just waiting for her to do so.

🌼

Seems like Marianne has no luck when it comes to sleeping through the whole night, undisturbed; this time it's the sound of water running, accompanied by panting and quiet sobs, that forces her to leave her bed.

Going downstairs, she is met with a sight of the redhead girl standing by the sink. "Anne?" she calls out quietly, stepping closer to her friend.

Anne abruptly turns to look at her and Marianne takes notice tears straining her cheeks. "Oh, it was a great adventure to know you," cries the redhead girl as she returns to her previous occupation, "but it's coming to an end now."

"What-" Marianne stops, finally reaching her side. The basin full of water is in her sight now, as well as the dark red stains on the fabric inside, which must be Anne's bedclothes. "Oh," whispers Marianne as realisation hits her, suddenly remembering the way Anne clenched her hands around her stomach before. "Um, Anne? Y-You can calm down now, it's-"

"Anne? Marianne?" questions Marilla as she steps into the kitchen.

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry I disturbed you. I'm so very sorry you bet on the wrong horse."

"Whatever do you mean?"

"I never got to wear puff sleeves."

"What are you two doing there?"

Still scrubbing, Anne seems more and more hysterical with every passing moment. "If you want to send me to the hospital for the remainder of my days, I will completely understand!"

Marilla takes a look into the sink and understanding appears in her eyes as her face softens. "You're not dying."

"Will you please plant some pink roses on my grave?"

"Anne, you are not dying! You're in your womanly flowering time and it's perfectly normal."

"But I'm not ready to be a woman!"

Marianne hesitantly rubs - what she hopes are - soothing circles on Anne's back as Marilla explains basic hygiene rules to the girl. She takes a brief moment to recall her first time, though it wasn't even half as dramatic as tonight's events (and resulted in her late father buying her flowers and a box of chocolates the next day).

"Do you have to deal with this, too?"

"I did. For many years."

"Years?!"

"The cycle is just a few days every month," Marianne decides to speak up before Anne takes her hysterics further. "It won't always be that bad, I promise, you'll get used to it after some time."

Her attempts to calm Anne down fail miserably as the girl shouts, "Every month? But why? Why is this happening now? Everything was fine for once!"

Matthew appears in the kitchen and Marilla steps in front of Anne, yelling at him to get out. Worried about the girl, he comes closer despite his sister's cries and, upon seeing the bloodstained cloths, his eyes widen. "I, uh... Yes. Um... Barn," mutters Matthew, grabbing his hat and his coat before leaving as quickly as possible.

"This is a waking nightmare."

"Anne, calm yourself. My word, you're hysterical."

"I hate this. I hate this, I hate this!"

"There now." Marilla's eyes fix on Anne's back before she places her hand in the same spot Marianne's has been just a few minutes ago. As the woman caresses the redhead girl with a circular motion with a small smile on her lips, Marianne cannot resist the corners of her own mouth rising as well; she just knew Marilla had a soft spot for Anne. "Perhaps you should stay home from school today."

"What? No. No, no, no. I-I can't loose time, Marilla."

"There's no reason-

"I have to keep up my academic record! I have just caught up with Gil- with the rest of the class!"

"Whatever you want, Anne." Marilla decides to give up. "Whatever you want."