Chapter One

Chapter One

“I think I’m going to die. Seriously. My heart has never beat so fast!” Jessica held her hand over her chest, hazel eyes wide. The slight flush over her cheeks the only colour on her pale face.

I chuckled to myself, amused at how often she had jumped during the movie; the movie she had chosen.

“I guess zombies aren’t your thing, huh?” Ashley shrugged, linking an arm in mine and steering me towards the exit of the building, the others trailing behind, slowly.

Zombies were definitely Ashley’s thing, a self confessed Gothic Princess.

I watched a trio of young teenage girls pushing their way into the building, their hair sticking in random directions, unruly from the October night wind. One girl blew into her face, skin a pink hue as she unbuttoned her coat, adjusting to the temperature difference.

I internally cringed at the thought of leaving the nice warm, comfortable building.

“I swear that zombie at the beginning looked like our cousin, Rachel,” Aaron insisted, speeding up his pace to walk beside his sister, opening the door for us to pass through.

The chill hit us instantly as we passed the threshold and I hunched in on myself protectively, before inhaling a deep breath of the Autumn air. The icy breath clung to my lungs and I shuddered before the sticky popcorn smell wafted out of the building as the door opened again to let out Jessica and Luke.

“I’ve seen your cousin Rachel, and I have to say that I don’t see the resemblance,” Luke countered, wrapping an arm around Jessica’s shoulders and drawing her close to his chest. “I mean, she had a whole face and none of it was missing.”

“Besides,” Ashley suggested, turning to look up at her twin. “Aunt Debra hasn’t mentioned it and if it was Rachel, she wouldn’t have shut up about her ‘darling daughter finally breaking into the world of film’.” The last was said with an overly dramatic wave of the arm that wasn’t latched onto mine and the rest of us laughed.

“I guess. They do say everybody has a twin,” Aaron murmured, shrugging, before looking around with his ocean blue eyes. “So where to now?”

It was a good question and one we always asked ourselves after watching a movie. We moved towards the side of the building, away from the influx of movie-goers, desperate to escape the cold before their movie started.

“Well, if I don’t get a coffee, one of you will be carrying me home,” I announced after yawning. Immediately, the others started their round of contagious yawns.

“I could eat,” Jessica offered, wrapping her arms around Luke’s waist. He reacted by placing an arm around her waist.

I looked away to study the crowds of people. It was always busy this side of town. There were always people hanging around the movies and the local fast food restaurant a couple buildings down always seemed full to capacity.

A lone figure caught my attention, dressed in a pair of dark jeans and a black hoody which was pulled over his head, leaning against a metal bike rack. Despite not wearing a coat, he didn’t appear cold as he stood half in the shadows, watching a group of girls as they walked past, giggling and chatting animatedly about the film they had just watched.

When he turned his head after them, I caught his attention. He watched me from the shadows as I studied him, and the hairs along my neck rose, goose bumps erupting over my skin in waves.

I could hear Ashley, Aaron and Jessica chattering between themselves and without paying any attention to them, I knew that they hadn’t noticed the odd man over the road.