Chapter 1: Haven Crucifix

A/N:Media is Angel!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Ooh, look who it is, boys," Stephen Barnett said to his prep crew as they encircled me. Ugh. What did they want now? They already spilled to the entire school that I was gay. What else could they possibly want? "It's Hayden- or should I say, 'Gayden.'" Stephen laughed and his clique laughed with him.

I clung tighter to my books. "What do you want?" I ask, but it's barely a whisper. I don't like people like Stephen. Preppy, with not a care in the world, especially for other people's feelings. They didn't like people like me- kind, caring people who actually had souls. But I don't think Stephen really gave two fucks on whether or not the next girl he bullied would eat a bottle of sleeping pills because of something he'd said.

"You say something smart, you punk?" Stephen is suddenly aggressive, grabbing me up by my tee shirt. He thrusts me against a locker. His face is two inches away from mine and I can smell the cold pizza he had had for breakfast. His knuckles dig into my collarbone. "Why don't you say it to my face and not the floor tiles, you freak?"

My heart is in my throat, but I manage to rasp a sentence. "I didn't say anything." My feet slowly leave the floor as he lifts me higher against the lockers. There is a small crowd gathering around us- shocked ninth graders, appalled tenths, and satisfied juniors and seniors. My vision gets fuzzy on the edges.

"Leave him alone!" A voice from the crowd yells.

Stephen looks behind him in the direction of the voice. "Who said that?"

"I did, you poor excuse of a human." My best friend Angel Symphony {that is his birth name, I kid you not} emerged from the crowd, standing in the presence of Stephen. "You wanna terrorize my friend? You'll have to get through me first."

"I'm sure Faggottron here will cherish those extra five seconds," Stephen shoots back, chuckling at the thought of a mere sophomore taking on the senior Varsity football team's quarterback. I didn't want Angel to get hurt- I was in love with him and he didn't deserve to get his ass kicked because of me.

Angel and I both admitted we were gay to each other on the same day. We didn't want any hate, therefore we stuck together. I fell for him after a year of being his friend. I haven't had a boyfriend since meeting Angel. I don't intend to, unless it's Angel.

"Wanna bet?" Angel said, mistaking the pained look on my face as being a 'please save me' look, but really it was a 'please don't do this, I love you too much' look. He threw his bag down and put his fists up. Angel is short but coming from Mexican decent he is very very fast. Stephen finally dropped me, letting some air get into my shriveled lungs. He turned towards Angel. I heard the 'bloop' of a video camera. No, I thought as Stephen gripped Angel up and slammed him on the ground. I heard bones cracking. As Stephen stood up, I rushed to Angel's side.

He was sobbing violently. He didn't cry a lot, but when he did it was heartbreaking. "He... He broke my arm... Hayden, kick that bastard's ass..." He slipped into unconsciousness.

Kill him, an unrecognizable voice whispered. He hurt your true love. Kill him and be with Angel. Get rid of Stephen now, and you'll be just fine.

My vision got darker and darker, but it finally focused on Stephen. "You," I snarled, but it wasn't my voice. It was a low, demonic growl that echoed through the hallways of Franklin Doubleday Day High School.

I've never seen Stephen as scared and intimidated as he was at that moment. But it did justice where justice was due.

I blacked out.

~2 Hours Later~
I wake up laying on the ground in the deepest part of the woods. As I squint to see better, I see Angel sitting by a fire. "Wha... What happened?" I groan.

Angel giggles {AWWW}. "What happened is you kicked Stephen Barnett's ASS."

"What?! When?!"

"Couple of hours ago. He's in critical condition and there's a 78% chance he might die. There's a video."

Angel pulls out some kid's phone and pulls up the video. "Who- who are you?! WHAT are you?!" Stephen cries to me on-screen.

"Me?" On-screen Hayden asks rhetorically. Then I laugh. "I'm Haven. And I'm your worst nightmare."

Then I turn toward the camera on-screen. I almost flinch at myself. I find two glowing red eyes instead of my normal brown irises. Sharp fangs replace my incisors and my clothes morph from camouflage jumper to a black hoodie and dark gray skinny jeans with black Converse. "Whoa," I breathe, because it is easily the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

"Sexy, right?" Angel whispers in my ear. I can't resist my impulses at this point.

I turn toward Angel, grab two fistfuls of his shirt, and kiss him. It's a long, sweet, and beautiful kiss that I wish could've lasted forever and a day. It's one of those kisses where you just know... You know that person is The One.

Angel smiles against my lips. "Do you have any idea," he says, "how long I've been waiting for that kiss?"

"Do you have any idea," I reply, "how deeply in love I am with you, Angel?"

"I was in love with you too," he replied. "Let's be together." He reaches for my hand and I take it and squeeze it. "We can stay in these woods and kill people and be insane together," he says seriously.

"You read my mind," I reply.