A Different Beginning

Flashback to a couple of weeks ago

"Aboenim!" Seri protested. "Why does it have to be me? I haven't been back in Pyongyang for almost three years. How can I be a suitable guide for the South Korean? I need a guide myself!"

Director Yoon sighed inwardly. As the right-hand man of the supreme leader, he could count the number of people in this country who would dare to question his decisions with his five fingers. His only daughter was unfortunately one of them.

"Seri, you won't actually need to show him around. He'll be in meetings most of the time. I just need you to monitor him during his free time." Director Yoon was exasperated. He must have explained this at least three times. "He's a South Korean and can't be trusted but he's here as a guest on bequest of the Chinese. I can't use military personnel to guard him."

Seri changed tactic, "Aboenim, you know I'm not good at lying. He'll see through me in a flash and know why I'm there. What happens if he complains to the Chinese? I don't want to create problems for you."

Director Yoon barely managed to hold back his snort. His Seri was a bad liar? There would be no good ones then. No, it was too harsh to describe Seri as a good liar. She was imaginative, quick on her feet and utilize her strengths to get her way. Yes, that was a more appropriate description - even if it meant the same thing.

Director Yoon took a deep breath and also changed his approach, "There won't be any lies, Seri. He's technically an honored guest. You'll be introduced as my daughter and hosting him on my behalf. The delegation is just in Pyongyang for three days. You've always been curious about South Koreans. Consider this a chance to learn more about their capitalist ways. It'll make you appreciate home more."

Seri knew it was futile to argue with her father. He did have a point. She had always been curious about South Korea. She lived abroad for more than half her life, but she always steered clear of South Koreans to avoid trouble. She had been taught from young that they were a selfish and self-centered lot. It boggled Seri's rational mind that an entire population could be like this and she was silently skeptical. This was a good opportunity to see for herself what they were like.

Part 1: The First Meeting - Waiting for Him

At the hotel lobby bar

Seri scowled as she glanced at her watch. The South Korean was fifty-five minutes late. She drummed her fingers impatiently against the bar counter top. Despite her reluctance to believe what she had been taught about them, it was appearing to be true. Fifty-five minutes late? That's just rude.

She knew that the Chinese delegation, including the South Korean, had arrived at the hotel early this morning. He had a good six hours before their meeting time at 3pm. There was no reason for him to be an hour late. He obviously just didn't care that she was waiting.

"Ri Jeong Hyeok. What's taking him so long. Crap," she muttered under her breath. "Five more minutes, Seri and we're done." This was her first time waiting for a man. An hour was more than enough.

Her wrist watch indicated that it was 4pm. Seri hopped off the counter stool and turned around to pick up her handbag. She was done. Her father can take it up directly with the South Korean. She had waited long enough.

Seri was going to leave in style at least. She took out her sunglasses and spun around, with just enough force that her curls bounced gracefully behind her - and immediately crashed straight into a wall. Seri winced, when did this wall appear? She was sure her nose was dented.

Obviously nobody had built a wall in the one hour she was here. Seri had walked into a man whose chest just happened to be as firm as a wall. Seri fumed, was this nut job blind? Why would he stand behind her? To add insult to the injury, Seri couldn't see his face. She barely came up to his chin and could only glare impotently at the broad and muscular chest.