(Chapter 25)

♫Erica♫

“Are you kidding me?” I asked, pushing him away, annoyed.

“Now, why would I do that?”

I glared at him, and was just about to answer when a loud voice broke our moment.

“Who’s there?”

“Shit,” I yelled, pulling myself out of the swimming pool. “Run.”

Daniel helped me by pushing me up by my waist. I almost slipped in surprise.

“What the hell are you doing?” I hissed. The lights upstairs had turned on. We had no time left! “Stop touching me –”

Daniel pulled himself out of the pool in ease, and grabbed me by my waist, pulling me out of the swimming pool.

“Let me down!” I yelled. “Let me –”

He dropped me, and I yelped as I landed in the mud.

“Not like that!” I snapped, glaring up at him. I pressed my hands against the ground, and forced myself up, when – Rip!

Crap.

“Did my…dress just rip?” I whispered, perfectly still.

Daniel nodded, his gaze focused on my butt.

I cussed, and suddenly the word was echoed out loud. I turned around.

“They’re coming!” I yelled, running again, Daniel right behind me. I jumped over the fence, scraping my knee, and feeling about a billion splinters bury into my flesh. Nice.

I fell off the top of the fence, onto the other side, but I got up again.

“Hurry up!” I screamed to Daniel. Adrenaline pulsed through my veins.

He complied.

Before I knew it, we were both running for our lives.

***

╣Daniel╠

We leapt over a hedge, and I forced myself as low as I could go. Erica did the same, beside me.

The owner of the house was still following us – that guy had amazing stamina. God.

He was brandishing a big stick, his butt waddling in his briefs, as he ran by, not even bothering to check the bush. He turned a corner, and he was gone.

I waited for a second, shivering as the cold air slammed against my damp clothes. Then I let out a low, relieved laugh.

After a while, Erica joined in.

“We went for a walk, swam, and I even got you out of your dress. Tell me this isn’t the best date you’ve ever been on.”

She giggled. Her eyes shone silver, reflecting the moonlight.

“Hey, Erica…shall we make this official? It would make our agents happy.”

“Sure,” she said, laughing. “Why not?”

***

The Next Day

***

♫Erica♫

Okay, this sounds sappy, but I woke up with a big smile on my face.

I’d put my SIM card back in (because Daniel asked for my number), and deleted the billion messages from Ben and Cris.

Is it too soon to call? It’s too soon to call, right?

Tyler walked into the room, and stopped.