Chapter 8: The Motive Behind The Mask

"Eric, you fucking asshole!" Angel burst into my office; I panic, mildly, as I glance down the hall to see if Hannah has secured Kyla. When I see she has, I turn back to Angel.

"What did I-" I'm cut off when Angel's fist connects with my cheek. Ow! That hurt more than I expected it would. "What the hell Angel?" I question, stepping back still feeling the sting of the punch. She doesn't say anything she just charges me again, practically knocking me to the ground and jumping on top of me. She lands a few more punches, from my peripheral I see Hannah coming towards us to get the small girl off me but I wave her off telling her that it was okay. I don't really want people to know of our connection yet, it could ruin everything.

"You had sex with Kyla." Angel finally explains the reason for my beating as she gets off me. I check to make sure my jaw is still intact as I get up from the ground, surprisingly with her help. "All the damn girls in the world Eric, hell in this city... why mine?" She questions, rubbing the hand she'd just used to try and cave my face in with.

"I'm honestly sorry, Angel. I never meant for it to go down like that." I tell her honestly as I walk over to the mini fridge and grab a cold soda and place it to my cheek. "It just sort of happened. You know that I've always had this thing for Kyla and I guess seeing her after so long brought back memories. I really thought she'd already told you."

I can see the definition of her jawline as she clenches her teeth. Her shoulders rise and fall quickly as her whole body seethes with anger. "If she did you'd probably already be dead."

"I'm sorry…" I offer, at this point I was. I truly thought that I could have Kyla stand by my side. That she would see reason and be with me. After we made what I thought was love, she brushed it off as a mistake. It hurt to know that I had lost another so close to me. She told me that she loved Angel and that Angel was the person she wanted to spend the rest of her life with. I was hoping with Angel out of the picture in the near future she'd need my shoulder to lean on. I would be the only person she had left that she cared about. But now everything is ruined, she knows that I'm the one doing all this to her sister and friends. I'll never have her now.

"I should kill you now." Angel takes a step towards me, clenching her fist. I step back on reflex, knowing good and well I could take her. My dad taught me everything I know. I was never apart the experiment, but I watched my mom go through it, suffer and die.

"I'm not sure with everything going on that you should you know… add a body to the count." I suggest, feigning trepidation. I need to keep up appearances. I have her girlfriend twenty feet away from us right now, tied up in a closet. I need to act as normal as I possibly can in this situation. "But you do have every right to want to hurt me. Wanna save all that anger for the real bad guys out there though. The ones that want to take this city you guys have worked so hard to build." I offer, hoping she'll take it and just leave my office.

"When this is all over," She points a stern finger at me, rage building in her eyes and tone. "…we will finish this." She says and walks away without another word.

I roll my eyes as she disappears from my sight. Hannah comes from around the corner once we know Angel is out of the building. I watch as she hops into a car and speeds away.

"Really Eric?" Hannah asks, placing a hand on her hips.

"What?" I shrug.

"You couldn't keep it in your pants 'til after all this was over?" She pops a brow and I smile at just how much she looks like mom.

"It wasn't like that." I stand and walk over to my little sister. At eighteen she looks more and more like our mom every day. "I loved Kyla and I wanted her by my side when all this was over." I sigh and shake my head, turning to look down the hall where Kyla was dragged. "This wasn't in my plans at all."