Nico meets the sides

Summary: Something's iffy. Nico has seen Thomas talk to thin air, and he has seen stuff move on its own when it wasn't supposed to. He knows something weird is going on, he just doesn't know what. His curiosity eventually gets the best of him, making him ask Thomas about it. The answer he gets is... unexpected, to say the least. (Idea by @what-is-love-babey-dont-hurt-me on Tumblr)

Pairing: Karrot Kings (none with the sides tho)

▪▪▪▪▪

(Nico's POV)

"Could you pass me the sugar, please?" Thomas asked me.

We were sitting at a café, having breakfast. We had been dating for over a month already, and things were looking rather good.

"No, Vee, asking for sugar isn't weird."

Except for that.

Tommy talked to thin air a lot, and I had wasted hours thinking to try and find a logical explanation.

It was, as you may have noticed, to no avail.

I looked at him from my side of the table, uselessly attempting to identify who or what (I had resigned myself by then about it) he was talking to. I watched carefully, spotting thin dust particles shining in the sunlight along with his casually messy hair. I saw a little coffee stain on the carpet, and I saw the ancient wallpaper surrounding us. But nope, there was nothing else there.

I had an internal battle. Should I ask him about it? It was about time I did; it had been, after all, a month of curiosity eating me alive, but I was just too nervous to. By the time I made up my mind, Thomas and I were both already done with our food. I should have hurried.

He smiled at me and stood up. "Would you like to go home with me today? Or do you need me to take you somewhere?"

"Oh, no, it's alright. I'd love to join you at- whatever it is that you're doing today." If this conversation had happened a month before, I would have beaten myself up because of that comment. Figuratively. Of course it'd be figuratively, how would I beat myself up otherwise?

The point I was trying to make before getting distracted (as per usual), is that in only one month we had grown close enough that I no longer felt awkward around him. We both simply laughed off the comment.

As we left the café, I couldn't stop myself from thinking it was nice to have someone there with me.

•☆☆☆•

"Cat-astrophe! Nice one, Pat!"

Now, thinking it was nice that we were together and admiring him as a person doesn't mean I stopped being curious about these people he seems to talk to, these ghosts. At first, I had considered schizophrenia as a possibility, but I was soon proven wrong when I saw stuff moving by themselves while Thomas acted as though it made total sense for him. I admit I freaked out, but Tommy doesn't need to know that. I know now that these beings are friendly- or that's what it seems, at least.

I looked away from my laptop for a bit from my place on the couch, only to find Tommy staring at the blinds in amusement.

Yes, staring at the blinds in amusement.

I sighed quietly and went back to writing the poem I had been struggling with for days. Even though my creativity wasn't helping, I needed to get it done. Asking Thomas about the ghosts could wait.