Chapter one

Angst. One word to describe my life. My father cared about everything except his family. My mother was always at home with my sisters and I. My older sister Doniyah was actually the one taking care of us though. She was old enough to leave the house, and be on her own. Instead she decided to stay home, and take care of me and our younger sisters. I admired her very much. My father came home one night, he was of course drunk after a long day at work, the usual. He started yelling at my mother for no particular reason. Yet, it wasn't his usual drunk ramblings. He was actually mad for something. Doniyah didn't let us listen in. She took us upstairs, and into the bathroom making sure the door was locked. Something was wrong, and she knew about it. We all soon found out two seconds later. 

Bang. Screams. Another bang. One more. It's over. 

Doniyah put her hand over her mouth, and started crying hysterically. I looked over at her with teary eyes. I was terrified. Saffa was crying on the bathtub ledge. I sat next to her and wrapped my arms around her. She laid her head on my shoulder letting out small sobs. Poor thing doesn't even know what is going on. Doniyah was holding Waliyah crying into her hair. This is too much for me. I hated seeing them cry. A tear slipped down my cheek. I was never a good crier. I held back the pain and tears keeping all my emotions contained. Right now I was failing at that. 

We heard loud banging. Not gunshots, but someone running up the stairs. Doniyah stood up, and put her back against the door crying into her hands. Her body vibrated as loud knocks hit the door. 

"Open this damn door!" 

Doniyah looked at us with her index finger on her lips telling us to shh. I choked back a sob as another tear fell. Saffa had her head buried in my chest so her cries were muffled. Waliyah just sat there staring into space with a pale face like she was in her own little world. I tried not to look in my sister's eyes. They were all full of pain and fear as were mine. I couldn't take this much longer. 

"Doniyah open the door. I'm going out there."

"Zayn are you crazy?!"

Our voices were nothing but a whisper. 

"Yes let me go."

"No! Wait. Do you hear that?"

Silence.

"No.. it's quiet.. What are you..."

She shushed me. I slowly understood what she meant. It was strangely quiet. Then we heard the downstairs door slam with muffled swears. Doniyah opened the door telling us to stay put. She slowly walked out and looked around. Nothing. She walked down the stairs and what she saw was not pretty. She ran back up with tears pouring down her face. The words she choked out were scary. 

Mum. Dead. Blood. Bullets. Everywhere.

A year later I tried out for x factor. I got in the first time. There were a lot of competitors, but there was one boy that struck me. He was different. He seemed serious, and determined. I was just there cause I loved singing and wanted to help what was left of my family, but he seemed to really want this. I later found out his name was Liam. That name stuck in my brain like a bee to flower. It fit. Liam. 

Simon called us on stage for boot camp. There were other boys there about my age. One seemed quite hyper, and weird. He had longish brown hair. His eyes sparkled. He wasn't like Liam though. He wasn't special. Why was I thinking of Liam this way? Anyway there was another boy beside him. He had curly brown hair. His eyes were dark, yet still had a sparkle to them. Still not special. Then I saw a boy with blonde hair. He has bright blue eyes. He seemed unique to me. I liked him, but he still wasn't like Liam. Liam has hair almost the same as the hyper boy, but lighter. And his eyes were brown with a special glow to them. He seemed excited yet still serious. I don't get him. Liam brushed past me. I looked up at him. He got in line like Simon said to do and smiled at me. I smiled back. Simon came into the room, and I quickly got in line next to Liam. He let out a small chuckle. He could tell I was nervous. Simon was strict.