Breakups & Goodbyes

She turned to him with sadness in her eyes. She knew for a long time it would never work. Not to say she didn't try. He gave her many great moments. She knew he loved her dearly. But it was one sided. She couldn't return the love, And they both knew it.

He stood there, staring into the night sky. Hoping to see a shooting star. So that maybe he could make a wish and make things better. The selfish thought made his heart ache deeper. He couldn't bare to look her in the eyes. He knew what was coming.

The words stung like sweat in your eyes. Blinding. Unbearable. Words he feared hearing. "It's not you, it's me." "This isn't working." Chained together, pummeling his emotions.

She looked down towards the ground, and then there was silence. Neither side spoke for what seemed like an eternity. She turned, slowly, then said "I'm sorry." 
Like sorry would heal his wounds.

She walked away from him forever and up to her door. She stood there a moment. Afraid to grab the handle. It looked foreign to her, even though it was very familiar. Passed down from generation to generation; her childhood home.
She reached out and placed her right hand on the doorknob and slowly turned it. The bright light from inside shined outward into the darkness.

The light engulfed her, swallowing her whole. He looked up, squinting, trying to see through the brightness. He stared, hoping to catch one last glimpse of her. Hoping she will turn her head so he can see her beautiful face one last time.

The door slowly shut behind her without a second thought, then silence. No last words or hesitation. Then he was alone. He stood in the darkness and aww closed his eyes. Staring up into the sky at the stars, somehow he felt more alone than ever before. So insignificant. Like a tiny drop in the ocean.

The wind picked up and rustled the leaves in the trees and bushes around him. The hum of the street light and the distant noise of traffic was all there was. He took in his surroundings one last time. I'll never be back here, he thought.

Looking at the house, it's paint, peeling from the wood. The stairs leading up to the porch, their crookedness and how they were bowed. The cracks in the sidewalk beneath his feet.

Pulling the keys from his pocket, he pressed the unlock button. The click of the door locks jumping up from their resting spot. The headlights cutting through the dark. He opened the door, got inside and inserted the key into the ignition but waited to turn it.

He looked up one last time at the house. To the windows, to see if she was looking out, like he was looking in; but nobody was there. He turned the key and the car started to vibrate with energy. Music blasting from the radio like a train horn. His hand moved to the knob and turned it off. He wanted silence.

The seatbelt was secured and he threw the car into reverse, then started backing out of the driveway. He looked one last time at the house he had gotten to know so well. Then drove away, fading into the distance.