Chapter One

The night was always the Green Paladin's day. She thrived in the dark, and was sluggish when sunlight landed on her skin. Maybe that was why Pidge had always wanted to go to space- to be completely surrounded by the night, she was a powerhouse of energy. Until now.

Currently, Pidge was shoving through the refrigerator, looking for anything to get her energy surging again. Surely there were a few alien energy drinks left from the space mall. Not finding anything and guessing that Hunk had hidden her drinks once again, Pidge decided that she should probably sleep. It was a big day for everyone tomorrow, anyways. But then, on her way back, she couldn't help but hear Allura and Coran talking.

Pidge never means to eavesdrop.

Okay, that was a lie, but Pidge was curious, though she thought she already knew what they would be talking about. It had been the most talked about and avoided subject in the castle: the marriage of Allura and Lotor.

"Coran, I don't know if I can do it- My father only ever wanted me to marry for love. I know he helped us win the war, I know, but whenever I look at him, all I can see is Zarkon and my people dying.."

"Allura-"

Pidge didn't want to listen anymore.

It was three weeks ago that the war ended. In that time, political conferences were held, Pidge turned nineteen, and Matt went off on another rescue mission. Hunk and Lance finally stopped pining and got together. Shiro started sleeping regularly, and Keith let his sword out of his sight for the most part. Everything was going to be okay.

Until they got the message from a reluctant Lotor. It wasn't his fault, not really.

The leaders of the planets in the immediate and surrounding provinces had decided that they wanted to start off the Peace with an alliance between Voltron and the Galra. Of course, they wanted a marriage to bind the two together. Immediately, the most popular were the princess and Lotor.

After all, who didn't love a wedding?

Allura was devastated. The proposal was set to be a public spectacle, to happen at a banquet- and the party was the next day. But was there anything that Pidge could do?

Of their own accord, Pidge's feet went the opposite way of the hangar where Green was waiting. Instead, they took her to the room Lotor was currently inhabiting. Pidge hasn't actually spoke to the Galran prince before, not one word. But now was a good time to start, she supposed. She didn't even know what she was doing there in the first place, but a plan was forming in her mind, and she knocked on the door.

Once, twice.

She held her breath until the door opened, a disgruntled and tired looking Galran prince appearing in front of her. Lotor looked puzzled to see the green paladin, but he quietly invited her in nonetheless. He offered her some tea and she accepted, the room quiet as he bustled around and set a mug into her hands.

Finally, he broke the silence. "What is it that I can help you with, Miss Katherine?"

Pidge drummed her fingers on her mug. Index-Middle-Ring-Pinky. Over and over. How was she supposed to word this?

"It's about tomorrow's proposal," Lotor nodded and Pidge felt a bubble of confidence in her as she continued. "Does it have to be with Allura? Would anyone closely related to Voltron work?"

Lotor thought for a few moments. "It doesn't have to be with Allura, no. What are you thinking of?"

Pidge couldn't stop the words from rushing out of her. "So it would work if you were to marry me instead?"