Chapter one

Song "Confident" by Justin Bieber ft. Chance the Rapper

It wasn't that I hated being alone, I loved it. I loved being by myself. I also didn't have much of a choice, I was forced into isolation. Given that I was an only child and my parents died five years ago.

It doesn't bother me much anymore. Loneliness, such a comforting word, it means so much yet it only means so little to me.

I didn't live by myself at fourteen, I was in foster care. My mom's family are assholes and didn't want the responsibility of raising a fourteen year old orphan, I've never met my dad's side of the family so I can't really judge them, but fuck them too.

My life has been shitty the last five years but of course, I'm not going to shit on myself even more, so I have decided to look at life as a blessing. I know my mom and dad would've liked that.

A day doesn't go by when I don't miss my mother's hugs, or my father's life motivational speeches.

"Take table seven, Amethyst" shouted Curtis, my boss, dragging me out of my day dream.

I also forgot to mention, I work at a deli/coffee shop/ sandwich shop/ bakery etc. it's like seven type of fast food joints in one.

Curtis has a big imagination and a great business mindset because we're always busy.

" Aye, aye, captain" I saluted him.

"Remember, I write your paychecks" Curtis chuckled.

"Remember, I still have hair" I lamely shot back.

He threw his head back and laughed.

I rolled my eyes whilst smiling and walked over to table seven, pulling out my pen and notepad out.

"Hello! Welcome to Curtis' Joint, my name is Amethyst and I will be your waiter and server, how may I help you"

"Hello dear, I'd like a water and Jim would like one too" spoke a sweet lady that looked around her mid 60's. She was fashionably dressed and the jewelry around her wrists and neck looked worth more than my house.

Well no shit Amethyst!

I was taken by surprise at their choice of place to eat, this joint isn't a five star restaurant. I'm not saying it is a bad restaurant, it's just we never get customers that can afford to buy us out a thousand times.

"No. I want pink lemonade. We already discussed this Linda" spoke, what I assume, is Jim.

"Jim, honey, you can't have that. It's too much sugar for you."

" We might have other drinks that are low on sugar. I could look for one if that's alright with you guys?" I looked them.

"Oh honey, we don't mean to bother you" Linda gave me a sympathetic look. She turned to Jim and narrowed her eyes "look  what you've caused"

"It's not a problem for me. I'll gladly do it! After all I am your waitress" I smiled at both of them.

"Thank you Amethyst. I'm an old man, Linda doesn't understand that I'll die anyway so might as well live life at this moment and not worry about the future!" Jim gave Linda a look then turned to me to give me a friendly smile.

"How about your meals? Do you guys want me to come back or are you ready?"

"No we are ready, we will also have two fish fillets" Linda spoke again.

"Great!" I put the pen and notepad in the pocket of my apron "I'll be right back with your drinks"

I went back into the kitchen and poured water in a cup with ice for Linda. Then I made Jim a homemade orange juice.