Prologue

If my life were to be defined, it would be in a single word, 'Quaint'.
      Helen Keller, my given name, since I was a member of the renowned kellers.    However, they were never much of a family, more of business mongols and partners, who found strength in unity, yet remained diverse in countless ways. My parents lead the front line's, their sole purpose was building and maintaining the Keller empire, with a child no where in their plan, at least, until I came along.
      As expected of a child, I wanted to be loved, craving their consent and affection, but soon realized I could never fill the quota. Afterwards I withdrew into my shell, becoming self-reliable and self-sufficient. Although they took care of my finances, we never acknowledged each other any more than that, and our relationship quickly shrunk to one of basic interest and provisional responsibilities.
      At the age of nine, I was shipped off to my maternal grandmother in Kentucky, where I first experienced the affection of a parent. She nurtured me, her thick blanket of warmth forcing me  out of my shell. I had found a mother's love where I'd least expected and cherished it, deeply.
       Grandma died after I graduated highschool, an electrical accident cut our time together, and again I was tossed into a turmoil of emotions. Kellers from around the country came for her funeral, even my parents, still no one was there for me, and this time I receded farther into myself.
       Friends were never something I considered, yes, flocks of acquaintances fawned, and others who wanted be intimate with me, some I wanted to be intimate with, but we could never get along. If you needed a candidate for a senior position, or leader for extracurricular activities, I was the best pick, but never a shoulder to cry on.
       My first degree was in history and philosophy. This led to a period of disagreements between my investors and I, after which they cut me off, if I wanted to be the prodigal son, then I'd also be an example. My early college days weren't easy, without financial support graduating seemed impossible. Eventually I pulled through, bagged a bachelor's degree, then a masters and another in psychology, hoping to understand the concept of human thinking, and what made me so different from everyone else.
       My search landed me in an urban bookstore, thirteen blocks from the street I lived.  It was rustic,simple, and had a natural homey feeling that reminded me of grandma. That's when I realized, nothing made me different from anyone, there was no barrier stopping my association with others, or theirs with me, it was simply the life I chose.
       In the end, it was quite nostalgic, how I finally realized this in a simple bookstore, and in the sound of silence.

A/N
Do not copyright.