Into the Room of Requirement (Fifth Year)

"You sure Weasley doesn't know what's going on?" Draco's words were hushed and his breath was hot on Harry's face as both boys crouched down to keep themselves completely covered by the Invisibility Cloak. Harry wanted to scream, sarcastic retorts already growing in his mind that he was tempted to throw Draco's way. No, I told him hey I'm shagging the boy I claim to hate, didn't I mention that earlier? Whoops, silly me.
"Course not, what kind of idiot do you think I am?" They rounded a corner, memory telling them that they were nearing the one place of solace that they had found in the entire school, their hearts racing as they struggled to keep their feet silent. It wasn't yet completely nighttime and they knew that there where still both teachers and students milling about, each one of them threatening to uncover the secret relationship.
It had started as a place to get out their anger, a place where they could yell and scream at each other about how they felt they were right, the sense of duty, how Malfoy had to be behind everything bad happening at Hogwarts, but it had quickly escalated into something more. Something that Harry had long thought of as something only he wanted.

"You think I want people finding out that I'm fucking a Malfoy?" Harry sneered, stopping short at what appeared to be a dead end ahead of them. "Fat chance."
Pulling the cloak off of himself he watched as Draco appeared as if out of thin air, his brows knitted together in displeasure. His arms were folded and his back was straight as if anger was the only emotion he felt.
"You think you have something to be embarrassed about?" He slammed his hand into the wall, a door materializing shortly after. "I'm a Malfoy. I'm a pureblood, I can't be seen slumming it with someone raised by Muggles."
Harry knew that he wasn't entirely serious, that it was Draco's idea of joking, but it still stung his heart. There was a reason that he'd been raised by Muggles instead of his own parents, and it was the fault of the leader that Draco's family had been loyally following for decades. No matter how intense their fighting had gotten, Harry had always kept those words on reserve, saving for the moment when he actually wanted to hurt Draco, if the time ever came. He wasn't ready to inflict that kind of guilt yet.

"If you have such a problem with it, Malfoy , then why are you here?" Harry leaned in, pushing Draco against the door. "Why are you about to let me fuck you?"
He loved the way that Draco's face turned violent shades of red before slipping through the crack in the door, leaving it open behind him. The Room of Requirement had become their safe haven from the rest of the world. It had been there through fights, crying sessions, first kisses, and even further into their relationship. It had kept them safe from prying eyes on both sides, always leaving two exits so that they weren't seen walking away together.
"Who said anything about fucking, Potter?" The room was dim from the lack of lit candles and Draco's voice seemed to float to him from a distance, smiling as he followed the voice. He hadn't been sure if this meeting was sexual or serious, but he wanted either one. He'd found himself craving any time that he could get alone with Draco, whether it was time spent talking or time spent pressing kisses to every space of available skin.

Harry bit his lip as he felt Draco's hands rest on his chest, pulling at the fabric of his robes. He'd noticed that whenever possible, Draco had taken to not wearing the typical Hogwarts robes, but was too worried about the answer he would get. He had seen a darkness growing within Draco throughout their time together, though he wasn't ready to admit it. He didn't want to ruin their time together yet, when they could pretend that nothing else existed outside of their room.
"You don't want to?" Harry smiled, kissing each of Draco's fingers.
His only answer was a harsh kiss on his mouth, but he didn't feel the usual heat behind it. He could tell that Draco was trying to distract him from something, was trying to keep up appearances so that Harry didn't ask whatever question he was so avidly wanting to avoid.
"What's the matter?" Harry asked, barely able to find Draco's silvery eyes through the dark, catching sight of them in the flicker of a candle. They were wide and looked like they had a thin sheen of tears covering them, just threatening to spill out. He clutched Harry's shirt, dragging him into the wavering light of the fireplace.
"I can't.." he paused, nuzzling his face into Harry's shirt. It would have been adorable if Harry didn't get the sinking feeling that his heart was about to be broken. "I can't be with you anymore." He looked up, and Harry didn't care that Draco was wiping the tears on the front of his shirt. He didn't care about anything else except the way it felt like his heart had fallen right out of his body.

"Why?" He could barely manage the word through the tightening that he felt in his throat. He could barely breathe but didn't want to let Draco know just how badly he had hurt him.
"I can't give up my family, Harry." He sobbed out Harry's name, burying his face into his chest once again, but Harry couldn't make himself move to wrap his arms around him. "I can't give up my family or he'll kill them. He'll kill my mom. He'll kill me if I don't follow him." The sobs overtook him as he fell against Harry, his thin frame easy to support once he could make himself move again.
Harry didn't know how to react. He wanted Draco. He wanted his friends and his family. He didn't want to give any of them up, but he had felt the beginnings of war rumbling through the wizarding world. He watched as Draco fell onto the couch, tucking his knees up to his body as his body shook with sobs.

"Please don't hate me, Harry." He whispered as Harry ran a hand through his hair, comforted by the lack of tangles that he found. "Please don't hate me for what I have to do. I can't let him kill my family." He gulped, his face reddening as he tried to hold in the sobs. "I can't let him kill you."
Harry nodded, his hands wrapping into Draco's as he pulled him onto his lap. He knew that Draco didn't have a choice about breaking his heart, but it hurt all the same. He didn't want to die, but he didn't want to lose the one person that he'd finally thought he loved.
"I know why you have to do it." Harry leaned into Draco, the knowledge that it was likely their last time together weighing heavily on the moment. He watched each movement that Draco made, from the way he folded his arms over his chest to the way that his nose sniffed as if denying that he was crying. Harry tried to remember it, to memorize it so that he didn't feel like such a stranger once he was alone.
"I'm going to miss you, Potter." He sniffled, rubbing his face into the crook of Harry's arm until he was completely curled up. "Though I guess this will be a little easier since we don't have to lie anymore." He watched the hint of a smile play across Draco's face, but he couldn't return it. He didn't know if he could smile about something that had to do with his return to loneliness and longing.

"I'm going to miss you too, Malfoy." He kissed Draco's forehead, watching the grey eyes he had fallen so deeply for flutter closed, the face below still slightly swollen from tears. Cold fingers wrapped around his as Draco calmed down, wrapping himself around Harry as much as possible as if they could hold the pieces of themselves together.
Harry knew that he should have enjoyed their last moments together, that he should have been as loving as he could before the opportunity was robbed from him, but he couldn't. He wasn't willing to accept that the same man who had stolen his mother, father, godfather, and countless happy memories from him was going to steal away his first love too. He wasn't going to let it happen, he just hadn't figured out how he was going to do it.
As he made his way out into the corridor, he denied it. As he wandered throughout the hallways way past curfew, he denied it. Even as portrait after portrait called after him to get to bed, he denied that Voldemort was going to take Draco away from him, he just had to figure out a way to keep his relationship together without one of them dying, and without the help of Hermione and Ron. Easy enough, right?