Late

~Rachel Hughes~

"Miss Hughes, aren't you late?" the kind, quiet voice of the librarian asked, peering at me over the large book I held in my hands.

"Huh?" I asked, somewhat in a daze. Was I sleeping?

She smiled big, amused by me, "You do have somewhere to be right? You asked one of the other librarians to make sure you were out of here by a certain time. She left about twenty minutes ago and called here to have me make sure you were gone."

I digested her words slowly, more than likely from my still sleepy brain, "Late?" Then it hit me. "Crap!" I muttered quietly. I threw the mess of papers into my bag hastily. "God, I'm so late." I rushed away from the table, catching my foot on the wooden leg. I stumbled but didn't fall.

"Miss?" she began, her voice still quite.

"Hm?" I asked, steadying myself.

When she remained silent, I looked at her. She was standing across the table staring at the ground, fiddling with her fingers. "Is something wrong?" I asked, wary of the way she was acting.

She remained staring at the wooden floor, "No- nothing. I'm sorry for interrupting you."

Interrupting me? "Are you sure?"

She nodded, looking back up at me. A small blush covered her cheeks, "Have a nice day!"

I smiled, still confused, and nodded. Realizing that I was even more late, I sprinted out of the library.