Chapter Seven

A/N This chapter has been edited 02/17/2021.

We reach my house, I grab for the door handle to step out.

"Thanks for the ride." I say, opening the door.

"Are you okay?" Xavier asks. I sigh and settle back into the seat. My eyes turn to him and I decide to confide in him. Sometimes it's better to confide in a stranger, someone who doesn't know you, someone who can't tell people who do.

"I have a one sided crush on this guy, he took me to The Zone today, he's always putting his arm around me, telling me I'm beautiful, saying I'm his girl, doing things that intensify my feelings for him. I guess I got all wrapped up in the flattery and believed there was a chance he felt the same but tonight, tonight I saw him making out with some girl. It hurt, I know it's not his fault but it hurt a lot and I didn't want to drive back for an hour alone with him, not after that." I explain, glad to get it off my chest. Xavier sighs and turns to me.

"Guys are dumb. Plain and simple. They don't see what they have right in front of them. You're something special Hailee and if he can't see that then he wasn't worth your time to begin with. And if he truly doesn't see it, there's someone out there who definitely will." Xavier says, making me feel a lot better. I smile at him.

"Thank you. I'm really glad I met you Xavier." I say. He smiles widely. I'm very comfortable with Xavier, he's a super nice guy and he gives off an older brother vibe. Protective and trustworthy.

"Anytime darling." Xavier says. I slip out of his car and lean down until I can see his face again.

"I'll text you." I say. He smiles.

"You better." He says. I laugh and close his car door and head toward my house. I hear the sound of his car driving away. Dad's car is still gone from the driveway but I'm grateful I texted them and told them I went to hang out with a friend so they didn't worry, just in case they came home early.

I unlock the front door and my eyes scan the house to see the house exactly how I left it, empty.

I breathe a sigh of relief, just wanting to be alone right now. I lock the door behind me and kick off my heels. I grab them and head upstairs and into my room. I sit down on my bed and change into my pajamas. I walk back downstairs and start to make something to eat.

I make a quick grilled cheese and some chips. I haven't had dinner yet and my stomach is rumbling. I eat as I watch Bones, one of my favorite shows.

I finish my dinner and watch several episodes of Bones before I decide to go to check my phone, make sure that my parents haven't texted me. I silenced it and haven't look at it since, not wanting to see Cam's texts.

I unlock my phone and am greeted with several text messages and missed calls. I sigh and go through them. All the calls were from Cam. I scroll through the texts to see several texts from Cam which I didn't read but one was from Xavier.

'Keep your head up darling. It was great meeting you :)' I smile widely at the text and text him back.

'It was wonderful meeting you too. Thanks for making my night better. Goodnight Xavier :)'

Satisfied with my text I sent, I lock my phone and head upstairs to my bedroom. I lay down in bed and try not to think about the things that happened today. After a few minutes of trying to get in a comfortable position my phone buzzes. I grab it and see I have a text from Cam. I sigh and open it.

'I need to know you're okay. Please Cupcake. Please.' He probably thinks that something bad happened to me. A stab of guilt hits me and I text him a small text saying I was okay and sent it.

I place my phone back down and close my eyes. I can't believe I actually thought he might have feelings for me. I was naïve and hopeful and that's a violate combination that ended in me getting my heart broken. Tomorrow's a new day, I will start building a wall again, a wall that protects my heart and distances me from Cam. It's the right thing to do so I can heal and move on...right?