Past Haunts and Present Problems

"Are you going to be okay walking home?"

I sighed and nodded. My feet hurt, I was tired, and all I wanted was have a nice hot meal and get some sleep. I should never have let Stacey talk me into doing this damn eight-hour shift, but it was the holiday season and I really needed the extra money to get my parents something nice. God knows they deserved it.

"Yeah, the bus stop isn't far."

Stacey's smile was bright and cheerful as she said, "Well, Merry Christmas!"

I let out a little friendly laugh and nodded again. "Merry Christmas, and drive safe."

"Don't I always?"

We both waved as we went our separate ways. I couldn't wait to get home and put my feet up for a few days before getting back to work and school. These long ass shifts were really draining me, but at least the pay was semi-decent – decent for a retail job, anyway. Although sweet as could be, Stacey could have been Hitler reborn when she was in manager-mode. I suppose I shouldn't complain, there were hundreds of teenagers who would give up their left leg for a secure job right now.

But my mind shifted back to school and the mountain of homework that had steadily gotten bigger before everyone scattered for the holidays. I wondered if my boyfriend was going to keep his promise and see me Christmas morning. Not to mention my mother was still pissed I was dropped from cheer. Ah, crap, I forgot to get Lilah a Christmas present.

"She's five," I muttered to myself, "She won't even notice."

As random thoughts floated in and out of my mind, I failed to notice the three gentlemen trailing behind me. I didn't pay any attention – it was Christmas Eve and there were still people walking out of the shopping complex, even though security had closed everything a good hour beforehand.

The closer I got to the bus stop, the closer the men seemed to get. Whenever I sped up, they would also speed up, until I realized I was basically running.

Panic set in completely as they also ran, chasing after me. I was so frightened I couldn't even scream as I made a beeline for the bus stop, but to my horror, there was no bus... and there were no people. Large arms circled my waist as one of them grabbed hold of me, pulling me back and behind a private parking lot.

"What are you doing!" I screamed, kicking and punching with all my strength.

The air was knocked out of me as he threw me against a brick wall, sending me sinking to the ground. It took me a moment to catch my breath and realize I was crying.

"I-I have money! Take it!" I cried, throwing my handbag – an early Christmas gift from my mother – towards the biggest of the three.

They stared down at me as if I were trash littering their space. "Thought you said she was older, and like a model," one complained, running a hand through his greasy blond hair.

"Don't matter," the big one mumbled, grinning. "Blondie left, so we got the other one. She'll do."

The little one, who had crooked teeth and darker hair, laughed like a little kid as he said, "We're really doin' it? Can I go first? Please?"

The big guy growled and punched the man with the crooked teeth in the face, sending him sprawling onto the ground. "Only one! Or we'll get caught."

I shrieked and went to get up and haul ass, but the blond one grabbed me and put a hand over my mouth. His hand moved to my breast, squeezing it painfully and bit down on my shoulder. "Just fuckin' pull out. It'll work," he chuckled, not caring that I was sobbing heavily.