Broken

~Chapter Five~

Terry carefully made her way over to him as he sat in a slouched position on the steps almost as if he were a bum asking for spare change. She cleared her throat to gain his attention and slowly his dirty blond head snapped up.

"Garrett, what are you doing here?" Terry asked. Garrett simply lowered his head again and pushed off the steps trying to dust himself off.

"Hey Terry...could I have a word with you?" he asked.

"Is everything alright, is Kathy okay?" she asked, alarmed.

"Kathy is fine, she's actually gone." He sighed.

"What!"

Terry quickly pushed past him towards the stairs and Garrett followed in heavy lazy footsteps as a frown overshadowed him. Finally reaching the top step she quickly avoided Mr. Perk at the end of the hall sticking his head out and pulled Garrett in with her.

"What do you mean she's gone?" Terry asked.

Now that she was inside and there was more light to provide sight to his features she noticed Garrett wore red puffy eyes and a deep frown.

"She called off the wedding didn't she?" Terry then said.

Garrett quickly looked away and a single tear was all she could catch coming from him as he quickly wiped it away.

"I came here in hopes that maybe she was here, since you are her best friend and all." He replied.

"I haven't seen Kathy in two days, the last time I was with her we were picking out a gown. She and I had a little disagreement about something and she stormed off." Terry confessed.

"Does she have another?" Garrett asked, his jaw flexed and his hands fisted as he looked at Terry in hopes of hearing no as a reply.

"No, Kathy would never do something like that to you," she replied. He seemed to relax but not entirely. Garrett was a mess as he looked away from Terry and approached her window to gaze outside.

"She came home last night; I sensed something was off about her. She was moody and more to herself, so when I approached her about it she suddenly snapped. I didn't mean to make her angry; it wasn't my intention to push her away if ever I did. All I tried to do was love her, I had many women at my feet offering themselves to me but I didn't cave because I wanted her and no other."

"Garrett, just give her time, if I know my best friend I know she will come to her senses once this whole thing blows over. She'll return but all in its time." Terry whispered.

"No matter what happens I'll take her back, I'll forgive her, I don't care that she lashed out on me I just want her back. All was forgiven the moment she stormed out." He sighed.

Terry couldn't help but arch an eyebrow at Garrett. Obsessive much? She thought.

"If you say so, just give yourself some time as well; really think about all of this. Are you willing to accept if ever Kathy decides not to come back?"

"She's the one for me Terry I'm certain, I have never in my life loved someone as much as I do her. I'll convince her somehow that life with me won't be so dull and she'll come back."

"Okay, but just so you know this is the real world and things don't turn out like fairytales all the time." She advised.

"I'll get her back." He muttered.

Terry simply shook her head at Garrett and offered him a cup of coffee which he agreed as he sat across the table from her. Could she have the gut to tell Garrett what Kathy had said to her the day of her fitting? What if she did come back and found out Terry had opened her big fat mouth? She shuttered at the thought of hearing a mouth full from her and decided it was best to ignore that topic. All in its time everything would go back to normal, or simply if Kathy didn't want to return he was in for a long year of accepting and getting over it all.