Prologue

Our story opens in the square of a fair city in Europe, within a proud and strong country. Above the world this nation was: all in culture, fashion, music, and luxury; so great were they that it would be ignorant of any not send to the heavens desperate prayers of hopeful assimilation to all that this great state was.
Two gentleman conversed near a great stone fountain in the center of that city square; both aged, and dressed in fine black suits: ones that would surely make them stand out among foreign men; but not so among their own kind; completely alike, they fit in with their countrymen there, in that square. They were both scholars by trade, and there they talked: that morning, that day.
"I do say, sir, these are troubling times."
"Sir, that they are, sir. Troubling... very, very troubling."
"Shame, sir! It is far too banal of a respectable gentleman to say a word such as 'very' twice in turn."
"Pardon me, sir. My heart is hardened hence; and all that is hard proves unoriginal."
"There is no pardon I can give, sir; I only meant to look out for thee there, sir."
"And much thanks I offer, sir," he rested against a face of that fountain, and his companion of conversation supported his weight against his cane. "Say, sir, have you heard any news more of this so prolonged war, sir?"
"No, sir, I have not; nor has any man, I expect. All I have heard, and all I know, as I'm sure you have too, good sir, is this: All of Europe is at war, and thus, the world with it."
"Troubling times! Indeed! Troubling times, I do say, sir!" The gentleman fretted, stopping his cane against the stone in exaggerated frustration.
"I do say," the gentleman agreed, and they stood in silence for a moment, fiddling their canes.
They rested there as masses bustled around them, blending together in a mesh of fine things and fine people. They were among this mesh, but felt now, at the unbecoming silence, to stand out amidst the likenesses of their kind. The fountain maintained its steady pace of slight aquatic sounds, and the men thought desperately for something to break their temporary, yet seemingly so threatening, social impotence.
"Sir-," that gentleman against the fountain began.
"Yes?" The other asked, eager for more discussion.
"Have you heard of an officer, a gentleman, named 'Jackson'?"
"Jackson?"
"Jackson," he insisted.
The man pondered for a moment, stroking his mustache as he did, "I have heard the name, I do believe, sir; but I do not know why I have."
"Ahhhhhh, wonderful! wonderful!" He strode a single great stride from the fountain and now rested himself on his cane. His heart leaped: relieved of the abandoned silence, and eager to educated the man -those people found a fine fancy in teaching others, not to share knowledge with them, but to assure their superiority over their others. "This Jackson is a war hero of sorts," he spoke slowly, emphasizing just the right words -as his mother had taught him in youth, and as he had perfected in his days fo study- he continued, "and a scholar, you see, sir. Rumors say he could win us this whole war..."
"Rumors exaggerate, and, just as likely, they lie, sir."
"Well, I suppose they do, but what does that matter? There is certainly some merit found in them."
The other man paused, and thought, "Jackson... I have never heard of that surname before..."
"He is poor."
The man paused, taken aback, "Poor?"
"As this dirt, sir."
"As this dirt? This dirt here?"
"Yes, sir. This dirt here; or so I have heard."
"And... this Jackson... he's an officer?" The gentleman asked, to ascertain this phantom's peculiar status.
"Yes," the other assured.
Now the distraught gentleman slowly paced to that fountain, and sat on it's ledge, and crossed his legs in pondering. "How did he do that?" He asked bluntly, and he looked up at the gentleman for an answer.
The gentleman composed himself best he could, disturbed by the outright bluntness of the question, "As I said, he is a scholar, sir. He is a very bright man, I have heard, and, were he a noble, he might be among the most respected bachelors in the country."
"You don't say?"
"I do, sir."
"Hmmmm. This 'Jackson' seems like an interesting fellow..."
"I've heard he is. You know, sir, he is in town this very moment."
"In the city?"
"Yes: him and a handful of other officers who have been given the winter off from warring."
"Well! That's fabulous! I would love to see this boy."
"Likewise, sir."
And they paused.
"This world is so full of war and hatred..." the sitting gentleman commented.
"Hmmm."
"I mean, sir... for thousands of years have we lived, and all we seem to be capable of is seeking out to slaughter ourselves... it's shameful."
"Yes, yes. But you mustn't get down, sir: there are plenty of beautiful things about this world still," he assured the gentleman, hopefully.
"Like what, sir?"
"Well.... hmmm.... well.... oh! Take that young noble lady, the daughter of that Baron, Simon, who lives in our very city. I have heard, from good sources, that she is one of the most beautiful young women in the world. I have heard that she is the picture of grace and innocence," he smiled over at his companion, "I have heard only the most wonderful things of her, sir: I have heard that her charms are enchanting enough to steal a monk from the momentary." The other gentleman chuckled, "Now that must be beauty enough to satisfy your disturbed mind, sir."
"Yes... that is wonderful. That innocent beauty of a girl... it does warm your heart."
"It does!" He insisted, sitting beside his acquaintance. "And I heard, sir, from a good source, that she is to be introduced as a lady in waiting at a ball that the lord Simon is hosting in his home tonight!"
"Ahhhh, sir. How exciting! A noble wedding is soon to come!"
"Ah, yes! And noble weddings bring noble delights," they both laughed.
The other gentleman smiled softly, "Yes."
"And her wedding may come sooner than you might anticipate, sir. I have also heard, sir, from a good source, that the father of this girl already has a ripe suitor: the Earl Philip Tyrell."
He looked at his companion, the spell of dejection totally forgotten, "Is that so?!"
"It is, sir. He has been off at war, too; but tonight I have heard he will attend the party, and he intends to win her heart; and they will marry as soon as fortune permits."
"How marvelous!"
"Yes... how..."
From close in the city square respect-less ears did hear. And as the latter gentleman said that final word that intruder, an officer, and a noble by birth, strode before them, "Gentleman!" They both stood from the fountain, straight and stiff they stood still. "Forgive me, but I could not help but here you discuss my beautified cousin; oh how time has favored her."
The men bowed, "My lord," they said respectfully.
"It is true what you say, every word!" he smiled at them. He rested his hand on his sword and inspected them once over, "You seem fine gentleman, both of a wise and respected age; you have my invitation to attend my uncle's house for that very party, tonight."
One gentleman spoke, "But, my lord, is this party not only for nobility?"
"Aha, do not worry gentleman: it is supposed to be so, but I have heard rumors of a number of other wealthy common men meant to attend. Please, the both of you, come. When you arrive, if you meet any trouble, which I doubt you gentleman will, inform them that Barron Ronald Simon, nephew to his lordship, Barron Samuel Simon, did invite you. Anyway, good day, gentleman," the young noble excused himself, but one of that gentlemanly couple stopped him.
"Excuse me, my lord... but, judging that you are an officer, and are too surely on leave like the rest... might I ask: do you know a young officer, called 'Jackson?'"
"Jackson?" The noble asked to clarify what he had been asked.
"Yes, my lord, a mister Jackson."
He looked them both up and down, now with a scowl ok his face, "Yes, sirs... I know him.... Now, good day," he turned, and left from the company of the men as suddenly as he had arrived.
They paused. One gentleman checked his pocket watch.
"Oh, sir! I must go! I have to pick something up; good day, sir."
"Sir! Good day, sir."
And they left.