Ray's Rules Episode 1: Beginnings

By Stephen L. Wilson 

 CHAPTER i 

Even at the age of eleven Raymond Richardson knew he had talent. He knew how to execute the bottom card deal perfectly. He could outrun everyone at school. When pressured by bullies, he had once broken one boy’s nose at school, receiving in return nothing other than a bruised knuckle and a letter to his parents. Of course, Raymond’s parents never received that letter. They had been dead for several years. It was Ray’s uncle Eddy who had been the boy’s guardian since he was four years old. Eddy quickly noticed that Raymond was advanced for his age, in certain ways. Eddy saw that Raymond had more in common with older children, rather than his peers. Even at a tender age, Ray seemed to lead rather than be led, unlike other boys from that side of town.

 Eddy gave Raymond all of the guidance he could, but, being only twenty-two, he was apt to lead his own life and leave little Raymond with more free time than most little kids. This proved to be the best education for Raymond.

 At age twelve, while most pre-teens were concerned about pimples, homework and fads, Raymond was concerned about whether or not his girlfriend (who was fourteen) was on the pill.

 Raymond had more going for him than just physical talent. His grades deceived any perception of his intellect. He barely slid by, making C’s if he was lucky, and yet, the local grocers knew him on sight as ‘Slick’. Not only could he walk out of any store with whatever he pleased without paying, he also knew how to make change for a twenty and walk out with forty.

 At fourteen, he moved away from his Uncle and into an apartment with a buddy and his dad. Raymond’s rent was paid for mostly by the odd jobs he had drummed up around the neighborhood. The better part of his work consisted of cleaning parking lots and mowing lawns, and sometimes cleaning shop windows. He also made a considerable amount of pocket change by way of gambling. He was a great card player, due, of course, to the fact that he knew dozens of ways to incorporate sleight-of –hand into his game. He also knew the odds on just about any current sporting event as well as the spreads. It was this knack for taking risks that put Raymond in touch with Carlo Vannucci at age seventeen.

CHAPTER ii 

“You’re lucky again tonight, Ray. I don’t know how you do it. You’re takin’ us to the cleaners again!”

“I seem to recall you makin’ a decent profit last week, Tony.”

“Yeah, and the week before was Curtis, the week before that was Victor. It’ so nice of you to let us take turns at second place.”

“Well, Tony, I’ve never heard you compliment my card skills with such a proficient amount of jealousy before. I would be much more content, however, if you wouldn’t imply that I was a cheat.”

“There you go again with the big words and the psychological bullshit. I wasn’t sayin’ you were cheatin’, just so fucking lucky, that’s all.”

“Hey Tony! Shut up and deal!”

“Piss off, Victor! You’re just hacked off ‘cause you’re losin’.”

“O.K. Since I’m losin’ so damned bad, why aren’t you dealin’ yet, huh? It don’t take a damned brain surgeon to deal and bitch at the same time.”

Raymond played for the next hour without added advantage, and still came out forty-seven dollars ahead.

CHAPTER iii

“What the hell is wrong with you people? You’ve been doing a decent job for the last fourteen years and all of a sudden a few piece of shit little gooks are in your way, huh?”