The Passing of Harmony

Book One -The Passing of Harmony:

An anonymous man dispatches a private message through a young boy and orders him to transmit the message only to the specific recipient. However, the trusting boy admits the message to a different man, resulting in two deaths.

Told completely in dialogue and short words.

______________________

"Five scrumptious honey buns in a baker's shop, big and round with a cherry on the top! Along came a little boy with a cent one day, bought a currant bun, and took it away - "

"Psst! You there!"

"Huh? Me, sir?"

"Yes, you!"

"Well, how can I be of service to you, sir?"

"What is your name, boy?"

"Why, it's Daniel, sir. I was named after my great-grandfather, and - "

"Yes, yes. Will you deliver a message for me, boy?"

"Of course, sir. What is the content of this message, and to whom shall I repeat it?"

"The message - listen very carefully, Daniel - the message is 'midnight at Lowood'. It's fairly simply, but do not forget these words. 'Midnight at Lowood', do you hear me?"

"Why, that's easy, sir! I memorized all my tables to a hundred just last week. Of course - "

"Yes, yes. Please deliver this message only to the ears of Mr. Jacob Bartholomew at 86th Charman Avenue. It is important that this message is not repeated to any other being, Daniel boy. If he's not home, refuse to leave until he returns. To clarify where Mr. Bartholomew is to be found so that you do not repeat this to another Mr. Bartholomew, he lives in the large, brown mansion with the peculiar garden gnome on the front lawn. You'll recognize it by my description when you first glimpse it."

          "Uh-huh, sir. Anything else?"

"No, that shall be all, Daniel. If you complete this successfully, I shall bestow upon you seven shillings. Is that enough?"

          "Of course, sir. Where might I find you after I deliver this message?"

          "I will be in Roadman Park near the tall oak trees until half after noon."

          "If Mr. Bartholomew wishes to know who sent the message, whose name should I say?"

          "He won't ask. He'll know."

          "Alrighty then, sir. To a Mr. Jacob Bartholomew, the message is 'midnight at Lowood', am I correct?"

          "Yes."

          "And he lives in a big ole house on 86th Charman with a garden gnome?"

          "Right again."

          "And after I deliver this message only to Mr. Bartholomew's ears, I am to report back to you at Roadman Park?"

          "Yes, yes. Now, be gone!"

                    ____________________________________

"Oh, three currant buns in a baker's shop, big and round with a cherry on the top. Along came a boy with a penny one day, bought a currant bun and—"

          "Hello, Daniel!"

          "Mr. Garfield, hallo!"

          "How are you this fine day, Daniel boy?"