Episode 1-The Grim Reaper's Daughter

Narrator's POV

It was seven o'clock at night, and a teenage girl with long curly black hair and a tall man with short black hair and silver eyes were standing over a five year old girl in her bed while she was sleeping. The man had a book open in his hand, and it resembled an ordinary diary. It had a plain black cover and a small lock on the front. But although it looked like an ordinary diary, it was the exact opposite. It was the Book of the Dead. Its owner was the Grim Reaper, and he was showing his daughter the rules and ways of the business.

Their latest soul had just died from brain cancer, which the girl had had since she was born. Her time on earth was up, and they were here to do their jobs and send her to the afterlife.

Amaris' POV

"That's how it's done, Amaris."

I watched my father as he took the little girl's life. She was only five years old, with flaming short red hair and hazel eyes. To anyone else, this action would seem heartless and evil. But what was I supposed to do? I was the daughter of the Grim Reaper and I had to learn the family business if I was to succeed my father.

There were stories that the Grim Reaper was an immortal being that came to take human souls when their time was up. Then they would send the souls to heaven or hell, or where ever the souls went when we were done with them. These stories were all lies, but like some things in this world, they rang with the smallest hint of truth.

The Grim Reaper was created to be the keeper of the dead and to keep harmony on the earth with the Life Bringer. It was a cold and heartless job, but someone had to do it. Also, we didn't kill people, we just took their souls.

It didn't necessarily mean that their time on earth was up. Sometimes, we wanted to save people from the pain and suffering that they would have had if they lived, but we didn't do this often. It has serious repercussions afterward. Other times, a person may decide that they want to feel the rush of killing someone, and we would have an unplanned death. When a person suffered an unplanned death, that person was hanging between life and death; we just chose between taking their souls and letting them live. Then, there are the planned deaths; the ones that were written in black ink inside the death book. No matter what, those deaths would happen.

My father was six foot six-and-one-sixth of an inch. This was meant to represent 666. He had black hair that was attributed to grim reapers, and he always wore it slicked back. He always wore a serious look on his face- not that anyone could smile while doing his job. He closed the Book of the Dead and threw it at me. I caught it; it felt warm in my arms, meaning that a new death was being written.

"Amaris, the next one is yours."

I looked at my father searchingly, and took the Reaper Key from around my neck- to me it was light as a feather, but to anyone else it was the heaviest thing they ever lifted. I opened the book with the key. The wind whipped my black curly hair in my face as it opened. The first page of the book was blank, and I watched as an invisible hand began to write the words.

Welcome, Mistress Amaris.

Which section of the book do you intend to go?

-Lost Souls

-Suicides

-Overdue Deaths

-Deaths

-Unplanned Deaths

In response, I whispered, "Take me, Book of Death, take me to the Deaths. . . grant me the power to fulfill the wishes of Death itself and once again bring balance to this unstable world."