Cupcake from Alice in Wonderland

Hey, WattyVengers. We will start with this delight that will say “Eat me”, almost literally.

Whoever that has read this fantastic story, will remember a cupcake with the inscription “Eat me” and which Alice, without hesitation, devours.  

Let's see how to make one of the versions of this snack:

First of all, we’ll make Royal Icing. What’s that? Simple, the icing that is used in the cupcakes. To make it, we’ll need:

250g of icing sugar / 8.81 oz of icing sugar

2 albumen or, due to the hygiene and health, the equivalent: albumen powder.

1 spoon of lemon juice.

1 piping bag / pastry bag (it looks like coffee filters where you pour a thick material. It helps to cover, in a controlled manner, an area).

In a bowl, we start mixing the albumen, lemon juice and, gradually, the icing sugar. We need to mix it until, when we lift whisk, it is formed a thick mixture, in other words, that it doesn’t “undo”. If the mixture appears to be too bright in the surface, add more sugar. With this, it will thick the more mixture than before, and it will allow us to decorate it. If we believe it’s too thick, we can add a little bit of lemon juice. If you want, you can separate the mixture into two or three glasses and use food coloring; it’s cheap and easy to find in supermarkets. I always recommend that the color has a similar taste as the food, because it “recalls” us that we’ll find that taste. Example: lemon -> yellow. Strawberry -> Red. Chocolate -> Brown. Et cetera.

Now, we’ll concentrate in the dough. We’ll use one recipe that, without a problem, we can also use it for a cake.

You’ll need:

100g of butter  / 3.52 oz of butter (example: Crisco)

160 g of white sugar / 3.52 oz of white sugar

4 yolks

¾  cup of milk (about 150ml / 5.07 oz )

30 g of corn starch / 1.05 oz of corn starch (also known as “corn flour”)

1 ½  spoons of  tea extract of vanilla / vanilla essence

2 spoons of tea powder to bake

½ spoon of salt

Tray or container to pour the mixture. It can be poured in a brownie tray (with butter and flour) and cut it in a square shape of 7x7cm (2 ¾ x 2 ¾ in), whichever choice you think is comfortable and cheap.

Turn on the oven to 180°C (356°F).

Put flour in the trays (or the tray). I recommend you to do it before the steps of the preparation, because this can be forgotten… really, it has happened to me… more than once… Recommendation number two, regarding the tray with the butter and flour: maintain the tray away from the heat sources. It sounds dumb, but maybe we can place the trays in the oven without noticing and the heat will melt the butter and, in some cases, the butter will split out and the mixture can get “glued” through all the surface.

Sieve together salt, flour and baking powder. I don’t usually sieve it and the result is good, but is better to sieve ir. The difference is subtle, but is worth it. We reserve the sieve (this step) for a moment.

In a big container we place the butter and sugar. We’ll smash this with a spatula or something similar until the butter gets a little bit white. Also, to know if you can stop smashing, is when there’s no sugar in the butter.

Put the egg yolks in the new mixture of butter-sugar; you need to do this one by one (you mix one yolk until it turns homogeneous, in that moment you mix it with another yolk). When we put all the yolks, we pour the vanilla essence.

Do you remember the mixture of salt, flour and baking powder? We pour, slowly, the milk.

Now we mix eeeeeeeverything together and we put it in a tray (or trays) WITH BUTTER (don’t forget it).

Put it in the oven and turn it on for 20 or 30 minutes. The mixture will sink a little, but then it will return to its original position. Please, don’t use your fingers to prove it xD

Finally, we pour the Royal Icing like you want. Before you serve the food, you can place some tablecloth decorated with the phrase “Eat me” or “Cómeme”.

When I have time, I will show a photo.

I hope you liked this class of Literary Recipes!

@Bluserrock

-Did you make the recipe? Did you like it? Write your comments, doubts and suggestions for other recipes, everything is welcome!