The Light Of A Lighthouse Will Always Guide You Home

This is a story for Ash's birthday (August 12th, that's Akimi Yoshida's birthday as well, by the way). Happy belated birthday, Ash. You'll always be my favorite bad boy😎

Sorry for the delay, I had to research a lot for this story. And, as someone who grew up at the sea, I have a weakness for lighthouses😉

When Ash woke up on his birthday, Eiji was already gone. As always, he had left Ash a note. Ash couldn't help but smile. Eiji loved writing him little notes, even if he had nothing important to tell him. And he always signed them with Love, Eiji.

To say that Ash loved them was an understatement. Those two last words alone made him feel special, and a swarm, fuzzy feeling spread through him. It was a sweet, daily reminder that he wasn't alone, that Eiji was always thinking about him, even if he wasn't standing by his side at that moment.

At the beginning, Eiji had started that to reassure him he loved him. Ash didn't fully believe him at first, always paranoid and doubtful. So, Eiji wrote him little notes telling him sweet phrases like that every single day, knowing Ash had to see a written confirmation to believe him eventually. Eiji made sure to write to him that he loved him every day, never gave up on him, and kept trying. And it had worked out in the end. It had taken Ash some time to truly believe him, finally accepting that even someone like him deserved love. At last, he had confessed his feelings to  Eiji as well, telling him he loved him.

It wasn't that he hadn't believed him at the beginning. Even someone as clueless as Ash could see the love and happiness in his shining eyes and in the way he smiled at him, could feel the affection and the unconditional trust in his little gestures and his little embraces, by the little cuddles when they were sleeping next to each other and especially when he kissed him. Still, there had been some remaining doubts lingering behind in his overthinking mind.

He had just assumed that Eiji would leave him eventually. All the people he had loved had abandoned him after some time. As a kid, he had convinced himself that the fault lay with him. That he wasn't worthy of love trust or comfort and didn't deserve it. Still, Eiji had proved him wrong so many times. They had struggled at the beginning, mainly because of Ash's trauma, his nightmares and his paranoia. Yet, Eiji had always been there for him, had distracted him from his terrifying dreams, had always comforted him and had calmed him down. And he had also proven to him over and over that he would never leave him. Even if they were arguing or Ash was too stubborn to listen to him.

And according to Eiji, Ash had helped him as well by giving him more self-confidence and supporting him, convincing him to finish his studies and to pursue his dream as a photographer. Since returning to Izumo with him, Eiji had also been so much livelier and had learned to get his way in some parts of their life. Ash loved when Eiji slowly acted more confident and brought in new ideas concerning their apartment, life or future together.  Ash had tried to convince Eiji to get his way when he wanted something. To think about himself more and reach for his own dreams and wishes.

Ash realized why Eiji behaved like that. He was worried about him since he still had difficulties adjusting to a peaceful and quiet lifestyle. Yet, he had reasoned with Eiji that he should reflect on his wishes, too. That the apartment and their furniture and decorations should express their taste, passions and their contrasting personalities. Like how Ash's room held a little library because he loved books and Eiji's room held photography equipment, hardcovers and compilations of famous photographers as well as stacks of photos everywhere.

Or how Ash's room looked chaotic with towers of books and newspapers strewn everywhere while Eiji's room was tidy, with every item in its place and everything looked well-organized.

Eiji had reflected on Ash's words and had started to bring in his ideas more and more and had even told him when he had a better suggestion and persuaded him to try it. Furthermore, Eiji had explained to Ash that, regarding his photo projects and his skills as a photographer, he had gained more self-confidence, pride and satisfaction thanks to Ash.