Dance in the Rain With Me

There were a lot of things that were different from The Boiling Isles compared to the human realm. Amity had noticed that almost immediately when Luz had taken her to earth to meet her mother. The people there didn't ride on staff in the air to get from place to place. Instead, they used vehicles and drove on a road. To Amity, it seemed ten times less efficient and practical. To Luz, it was normal. Maybe not the normal that she preferred, but it was reality. Not to mention, humans didn't use magic to create things. You had to work to achieve your goals, not just poof them up. The biggest difference to Amity was in the weather.

     One night, Luz and Amity were up late, rereading the Azura books in Luz's room. It was a frequent activity for the duo, but somehow Luz's head lying in Amity's lap as she read didn't get bored, even when they knew all the dialogue and plot twists by heart. All was quiet until the pitter-patter of raindrops could be heard outside. Luz jumped up at the sound and opened her window, listening intently to the sound of the rain hitting the driveway. It was one of the few things the girl missed about the human realm. Then, she got an idea. Grabbing Amity's hand, she led her down to the front door, opening it and stepping out into the rain.
     Amity noticed the girl's happiness, but quickly dismissed it when she realized, this is rain, boiling rain, "Luz!" Her call was too late, Luz was already standing in the rain, letting the big raindrops land in her soft hair.
     Luz laughed at the coldness of the raindrops on her face before realizing that Amity was looking at her, wide-eyed, "Oh! Amity, earth rain doesn't hurt, it actually feels nice!" Amity tilted her head. Rain that doesn't hurt? The human realm was something else. Despite her trust for Luz, the witch was hesitant to stick her hand out and feel the rain on her hand. Luz didn't seem to mind it. Her attention drifted back to Luz, who was lying on her back in the middle of the driveway, her face scrunched up because of the raindrops. Amity smiled at her girlfriend. She sat on the edge of the porch, slowly working up the courage to stick her hand out. Then, she did. The first drop came, making her jump. Then another, and another, and another. Soon the girl's hand was soaked with water. Slowly, she stood up, making gradual steps from the porch to Luz, who was now standing up, her hands out ready to embrace Amity when she got to her. The coldness of the rain that was already sitting on the pavement was cold. It felt... nice. Her steps got faster once she got used to feeling the rain splat on her head or her shoulders from time to time. Eventually, she got to the center of the driveway, taking Luz's hands in hers.
     "See? Nothing to be scared of," Luz said quietly, brushing the wet hair out of Amity's face.
     "Yeah..." Amity agreed, she looked across the street at the streetlight which was illuminating a portion of the sidewalk. She could see the rain coming down more clearly. Luz dropped Amity's hand, drawing her attention back to her. Standing back a bit, Luz bowed, sticking out her hand towards Amity.
     "Ms. Amity Blight?" Luz asked formally, "May I have this dance?"
     Amity giggled at her and took her hand, bringing it up to her mouth to kiss it, "Of course you can, Ms. Noceda."
     And so the two danced in the driveway of the house. Not bothering to care about how soaking wet their hair and clothes were, or about how it was almost midnight and the two had school in the isles tomorrow. All that mattered was that they were together in the rain. All that mattered was that they were dancing.