Tome 1 | Log 3

Y/n trudged through the muddy and wet landscape of the circle of gluttony, his grunts resonating through the murky swamp area. Icy rain―cold enough to freeze on touch―hailed down on Y/n but did little to slow his progress, it instead encouraged him to move faster.

It had been approximately four days since the meeting in the tower, and Lucifer had not contacted any of the sins since then, at least not till now. During those days, Y/n had time to do his daily routine of indulging himself in some of his favourite things: Gold, cigarettes, and gold. It was in the middle of his indulgence that he received a call from the Queen of Hell herself, asking him to check on the Gatekeeper who resided in gluttony as they had stopped sending in their daily reports. Y/n wanted to deny the responsibility and say otherwise, but Lucifer would have none of it and had made a threat to burn his manor down and take all his gold if he didn't obey.

Lucifer wasn't one to go back on her word, so he had no choice but to comply.

The Sin of Greed had been walking for quite some time, angrily grumbling all the way. Just as he was about to question himself if he had maybe walked past where the gatekeeper lived, the weather conditions began to lessen and were instead replaced by the appearance of hundreds, maybe thousands of souls wallowing in the mud, taking the forms of fat people, pigs, frogs and the such. The sight made Y/n cringe with disgust and try his best to avoid looking at the sinners, though it did raise his mood slightly as the sight of souls meant that he was near his goal. After a few more minutes of struggling to walk through the mud and rage induced muttering, his destination came into sight.

A fairly large sized cave laid in the middle of gluttony, with a few torches to light the outside along with the skeletons of unfortunate demons who were unlucky enough to cross the gatekeeper.

"How homey," Y/n said to himself.

He grabbed and twisted the handle, finding it unlocked and stepped in. The moment he set one foot inside, Y/n had his nostrils immediately assaulted by the smell of blood, mud and raw meat, a rather unpleasant combination of stenches. The sin of greed pinched his nose, gagging slightly from the appalling odor. He didn't know if demons could get sick or if they could throw up, but he felt that he might find out soon if he kept breathing in the smell.

With great hesitance, he stepped inside. The first room of the cave wasn't what Y/n was expecting, having toys and balls littering the place. At one end of the room, a fairly modern looking Tv rested on the ground and a large pile of pillows and blankets laid in front of it, which he presumed was what the gatekeeper slept on. Noticing that the pillows had writing on them, he squinted and looked closer. The three pillows were labelled accordingly, "Enas, Dyo and Trio".

Enas, Dyo and Tria were the names of the triplets who guarded the gate to Hell, but they were usually referred to by one name: Cerberus, as all three twins shared a hivemind.

Enas, Dyo and Tria were born centuries ago, just after Beelzebubs rebellion. Their sole purpose was to replace Kerberos, the original gatekeeper, after he was slain by the great fly and her allies.

Y/n never had many chances to interact with Cerberus, only having met them once or twice in the past, but knew just how troublesome and chaotic they could be despite their cutesy appearance. Olympia, the Sin of Gluttony, had told him many stories about them, and if they proved to be true then he would have to take caution in approaching them, and maybe even use excessive force in case things got out of hand.

Walking further into the house, Y/n's nose wrinkled in disgust once more. The foul smell had grown tenfold. It was at that moment that Y/n decided to himself that his work was cut out for him. He could already feel the bile rising from the back of his throat.