Unbroken Relationships

A day or two had passed since Sarah and John B were presumed dead, and they were barely fucking standing. JJ Maybanks opened his eyes and groggily looked around the room. He knew exactly where he was, he just didn't know how he got there. His head felt like it was being carved into with a spoon.

Then violently sucked on, leaving him soundlessly wishing he could die.

The events were repeating themselves in his head, as much as he tried to shove them away.

"You drove them straight to the storm man!" He threw himself at whoever was near, wanting to throw in a good punch or two. He knew they wouldn't bring his best friend back, but he was grasping on straws. Violence was the only way he knew how to deal.

John B was the only one who knew and understood it.

John B.

The sound of his name, even in his own mind, made him want to kill himself.

John B, who treated him like garbage, and knew, he knew JJ's dad beat him, yet he also knew JJ hated when anyone treated him differently.

John B, who put up a nice fight with JJ because he knew that was how JJ relieved stress and traumas. They'd put nice bruises on each other, then went surfing when things were better, even if it was by a thread.

John B, who used to pretend his father was also JJ's father when father's day came around. They would both make cards when they were little, and when JJ hesitated to write his own father's name, John B would scribble 'Big John' in his messy handwriting. Both cards were hung on the refrigerator.

John B, his best fucking friend, even though he had never told him so.

John B, who was now dead.

Why?

Well, he was fucking dead because—

"JJ?" JJ shifted uncomfortably in his couch, his head throbbing, yet his heart relieved he wasn't forgotten. He tried to make a sound, to let them know he was here, yet nothing came out.

"Jay?" It was softer this time, and he managed to frown a bit. Jay. It was something he had never been called before. He made an inhumane noise.

"JJ?!" Dammit, he supposed she hadn't heard the grunt. He grunted louder, his head burning and pounding.

This was getting nowhere. He stood up after a few attempts, then walked slowly towards the living room. He saw her standing there, panicked, her blond hair up in a wild ponytail. She saw him and ran towards him, hugging him by the neck and clinging on to him, so hard he had to lean on the counter. She dug her face in the crook of his neck, mumbling "Fuck you Jay, I thought something happened to you." over and over and over.

He pulled away, his face twisted with confusion. "What are you doing here?"

She blinked twice, her rare green eyes projecting his same emotion. "I— I came here for you, b-because my family leaves in a few days and I thought we could— uhm— I thought we could hang out." She pulled away completely, then sputtered, "You do want to hang out, right?"

"I— uh, I don't know Samantha, we've met only once and —"

She cut him off. She didn't look at all happy. "Samantha? I'm not— I'm Catherine. JJ, how many girls do you sleep with?!''

"Oh, then, I'm ... sorry? I don't know who you are, Caroline." He was genuinely confused, he had seen her before, but last where he remembered seeing her was at the party, the one where he took the gun out to scare the Kooks. They were talking and she was funny, but he never saw her again.