Ways to Improve Your Writing

1. Read the Classics.

2. Take literature courses that teach you how to analyze novels. You need to know your literary devices and methods of writing before you can apply them to your own works.

3. Find a good reviewer or editor to help you improve.

4. Correct your errors.

5. Accept all forms of criticism.

6. Observe your surroundings and know how humans behave.

7. Ask yourself questions about your own story to find your plot holes or to develop your characters.

8. Write an outline to plan your characters and to arrange your ideas. You may not have to follow this outline religiously, but at least you have some sense of organization.

9. Read your writing aloud. You will notice your silly mistakes and then horrendously blush because you know that you should not have committed those errors. Oops.

10. Be patient with your writing. I know when you’re tired, you just want to skip to the good parts, but trust me, I can tell when you’re being lazy or hasty.

11. Research! If you are unsure about a topic, then please take the time to research on whatever you want to add to your story. Of course, unless you're writing fantasy, then you're allowed to do whatever you please. If you're writing about a realistic sword fight, then actually describe things properly. Realize that it's very hard to stab someone's heart. There are ribs for a reason. They protect our heart.

12. Keep writing. Don't be discouraged if you don't have receive enough comments! Sometimes, it just takes some time for people to catch onto your story. Take initiative too and post your links where appropriate. Please do not create excessive amounts of threads that seem more like spam just to advertise your story.

(This will be updated once I think of more ways to help people. You're free to suggest methods too.)