Shooting Star

Rumple’s POV

            I sat at my wheel watching as it spun round and round trying to quiet the chaos that reigned in my mind. It didn’t matter how much I watched it spin, I couldn’t quiet the feelings that were starting to let themselves known. It began shortly after I rescued Belle from those damn Queens of Darkness. They thought they could steal from the Dark One; but I did rescue Belle from their grasp. If I’d let them kill her, I didn’t know what I’d do. Help was hard to find but I didn’t want another girl. I wanted Belle. The way her face lit up when I chose her over the gauntlet.

            “Ah!” I screamed internally. “I must forget these feelings. She’d never care for me. I’m a monster.”

            “Rumplestiltskin.” She spoke breaking me out of the argument I had with myself. “Here’s your tea. Will you be needing anything else?”

            “No, dearie. You can go.” I waved her off avoiding eye contact with her.

            “Alright.” I watched as she turned to leave but she stopped and turned round to face me again and walked towards me. “Before I leave, I wanted to say…thank you.” She whispered.

            “Whatever for, dearie?” I asked looking at my spinning wheel.

            “For saving me the other night.” She then planted a kiss on my cheek. I tensed up at the sudden gesture as I was shocked by it. It had been a long time since someone had shown me an act of kindness similar to this. “Good night, Rumplestiltskin.” She smiled and left me with the shock.

            “Good night…Belle.” I whispered and smiled.

            I got up from my wheel and served my tea in the chipped cup. I laughed as I remembered the day she broke it and was terrified of my reaction. Silly girl, it’s just a cup.

            “But it’s not just a cup.” I whispered to myself as I stared at it.

            The feelings and thoughts came rushing back. Was I truly caring for Belle? Did she care for me? No, I’m a monster. She’d never care for me, not truly. No one would ever care for a coward like me. I stood by the window and gazed up the night sky and right then a shooting star flew across it, bringing with it a long forgotten memory.

            “She would.” I answered as I remembered that night long before I was the Dark One. A time where a shooting star landed in my life and filled it with light.

Flashback

            “Bae! Come on, son, time to wake up.” I limped towards his bed and gently shook him.

            “Five more minutes, papa.” He murmured sleepily.

            “Alright, but that means more eggs-in-a-basket for me.” I answered walking towards the fireplace where the food was cooking.

            “Eggs-in-a-basket?! I’m awake, papa, I’m awake!” He exclaimed sitting up in his bed.

            “Good. Now go wash your face.” I chuckled.

            “I’m done, papa.” He said as he came back.

            “Here’s your breakfast, son. Now eat up, we must go to Hamelin.”