Prologue

Emma was working on her summer assignment for school that afternoon. Her drunk uncle came home from the bars early. She wasn't surprised to hear him burst through the door and crash into something in the living room. Probably the tv or the big stereo. 'Please let it be something that will kill him' She prays. But, alas, he got up and knocked even more stuff over. He started to ascend the stairs. She rushed to the door and tried to lock it before he could reach it. Unfortunately he was faster than usual. He flung the door open, flinging her with it. She slams against her wall and her left wrist smacks the solid wood hard. So hard, she hears a crack. She shrieks in pain and pulls her wrist to her chest. Uncle bastard looks around the room searching for his prey and finally lays his eyes on her. He closes the door and grabs her left shoulder. He pulls her off the ground ignoring her cries of agony.
"you have been a pain ever since I married your aunt," he spat in her face. "I've finally decided what to do with you. Want a hint?" his devious, disgusting, crooked smile swept across his face as he lifted his hand and punched her in the face. She screams at the shock and tears roll down her cheeks for the pain, joining a trickle of blood. She just barely opens her eyes to see him lift his hand again. Her eyes shut waiting for the pain. Instinctively, she lifts her left arm ignoring the pain. Instead of hitting her face directly he hits her wrist causing another loud crack and it smacks her head. Causing her to black out completely.

*****************************
Author's note

Warning in advance, I'm not sure whether I like first person or third person better for this, so I apologize for any confusion if there happens to be a section where it switches around.