The Life Of A Paraplegic

It all started because of one senseless and stupid mistake. We were at the river with my relatives and friends, having a barbeque. Like any normal family would do on a Sunday afternoon. We were eating, drinking, socialising and having fun, when that moment came and it all fell downhill. My friends suggested that we go swimming in the river, so they all jumped in safely and maturely making sure that there wasn’t anything that they could damage themselves on. Me being all unwise and thoughtless I DIVED in not thinking of the consequences that could happen to me, if I could cut myself severely, if I could sprain or fracture something but no I was too stupid to think that, instead something worse happened to me. I jumped in and instantly felt the excruciating pain. Next minute was hectic; all I could hear was alarming screaming and yelling, and then everything turning black before my eyes. I woke up will a killer headache, but pain anywhere else, and then I realised what had happened. I went to get up but couldn’t………

I regret everything that occurred that day, and wish that I could go back in time and mend the error that I made happen. But things don’t always go the way you want them to. I no longer feel pain which worries me and scares the hell out of me, because I wouldn’t know if I’m getting burnt or if I cut myself extremely bad. I have no feeling whatsoever seeing as though I am paralysed from my waist down, all the way to the tips of my toes. My movement is weak, which means I only have my arms and face to help me whenever I need it. I can’t play the sports I always used to like; gymnastics, swimming, soccer and the maximum one of all is dancing. But what I miss horribly is me not being able to do the splits no more, which was something I ALWAYS, loved doing in my spare time. The thing that bugs me the most is when I need to go to the toilet; it is the most difficult and most annoying thing in the world. I have to have someone there constantly to help me get off my wheel and onto the toilet, it drives me crazy!! But hey, I’ll get over it; after all it is my fault.

I hope my life changing experience taught you all a lesson about making thoughtless mistakes. Whatever you do whether it’s riding a motorbike, rock climbing or like me for instance; diving un-safely, always think before you act and take care of your life because it’s as precious as you think it is. Don’t make the same lifeless mistake that I made, take the right path in your life and remember, the path that you choose stop and think if it’s the right path for you.