CHAPTER 1 - THE RAGE WITHIN (Part 10)

CHAPTER ONE – THE RAGE WITHIN

(Part Ten)

Walking behind him, I was overwhelmed by the enormous school gates and was equally disturbed by the medieval design of the building. ‘I don’t like gargoyles,’ I whispered, but my father ignored me and grabbed me by the shoulder. He shoved me through the colossal, black iron gates and warned me about keeping myself to myself and not to draw attention to us.

Just as he was giving me the rules on what I could and could not do, he was interrupted by one of the teachers.

A woman in her late thirties, with her long, brown hair neatly styled in an understated bun, she wore natural-looking make up and a crisp white shirt tucked into her pleated, tartan brown skirt, which landed just below her knee. She was calm, friendly and confident when speaking to my father as he grunted at her questions rudely, in the hope she would let him escape quickly.

After she realised she would not gain any friendly conversation with him, she bid him farewell and turned to me with a welcoming smile. ‘Well, Lou, welcome to Laxo High. My name is Mrs Baxter and if you have any problems you can come and get me anytime and I will help you. Do you have all your equipment ready?’ she asked as she took hold of my soiled hands and started rubbing them in the hope to warm them up on the cool autumn day.

I backed away from her, unsure of her friendliness, as I shook my head and gave her a full view of my dismal appearance.

Dressed in a stained, oversized, blue, corduroy jacket, which my father had found at the back of a charity shop, and matching tight, brown trousers, the only thing that fitted my small frame was my overly worn, light brown boots that did not protect my feet from the seasons as the holes got larger by the day.

I could see the pity written across her face, but I didn’t want or need it, so I distracted her pitiful glances by asking for a pen and pencil.

Walking inside, I could see we were late as lessons had already started and I dreaded walking in for all eyes to be on me, but I took a deep breath and followed her into a classroom as I tried to exude confidence. ‘Sorry I’m late, students, but I had to take care of something, but hopefully Mr Coleman has started you off and you have completed all the questions on the board as you only have five minutes left before I start picking some of you to answer them,’ she said as a hush came over the room and all eyes were absorbing my distinct appearance.

She looked around the room and saw a spare seat near the window. As she pulled me next to her, she continued. ‘This is Lou and he will be joining us. Now this is, for you all, your first day so you are all in the same boat, so why not take another passenger on board and show him how welcoming you are.’ As the class chuckled, she ushered me to my allocated seat and handed me the borrowed equipment.

All eyes followed me as I made myself comfortable and ignored the sniggers and whispers about my tattered attire.

I opened my textbook and put the pen to the lined paper. As I struggled to read the letters on the board, the girl next to me enquired, ‘Are you OK?’

I turned to observe this nosey individual and was caught off guard by her shimmering ice blue eyes as bright yellow flecks danced around her pupils. She looked away, blushing, as I stared at her unique beauty.

Her beautiful, shy smile melted my defensive exterior as she pushed her textbook towards me to copy from. ‘It’s OK, you can use my answers for this bit cos you were late,’ she whispered as she flicked her long, straight, shoulder-length, brunette hair from her face and explained her answers further as I tried to compose myself, hoping that she would not see my nervousness.

As she moved closer, ensuring the teacher could not hear her giving me extra help, her woody scent captivated my senses, leaving me with a head rush that I did not want to go away. ‘Thanks, I think I’ve got it now,’ I mumbled as the two boys in front decided to tease her about helping a tramp.

She ignored them and continued to help me understand the topic; however, as much as I tried to ignore them, their jibes dented my confidence as I looked at this stunning girl and knew she would never be interested in me as more than just her desk buddy.

However, it was not going to be easy to just be desk companions with this girl.

Her hair danced in the breeze, which orchestrated her to bat the auburn strands from her face, as it tumbled over her shoulders, exposing her smooth, olive skin and plump, full, dark pink lips. Her long, dark eyelashes flirted with my own as she constantly looked away, unsure how to take my curious glare.

I could have stared into her ocean eyes forever and almost did until my thoughts were distracted by another student dropping her pencil. ‘Idiot,’ I grumbled as she shifted my attention.

The girl, who had long, jet-black hair that glistened in the sunlight like a panther’s coat, was clearly trying to get the attention of the boy who sat behind her; however, we both realised he was no ordinary Namuh and she was no regular girl.

As I continued to be distracted from my new friend, I knew there was something wrong with these two other students.

Did you enjoy this part of the chapter? If so, please show your support for this author by VOTING for this story or leave a COMMENT to connect with me! Thanks everyone! :)

***If you cannot wait for me to update this story EVERY FRIDAY, the full book is available to purchase on Amazon, Smashwords, B&N, Kobo and iBooks***