Now You See Me, Now You Don't: Chapter 1

Chapter 1

“Ashlyn Faye Ambrose!” Mr. Clark bellowed, his face red with rage. “You’ve been absent for almost an entire week now! I take it you have a good excuse?”

Ashlyn winced and curled her lips tightly. “I do indeed.” She replied shortly.

“Well, then, I suppose you won’t mind enlightening me with your supposed reason...?”

Ashlyn stiffened. “I do mind, actually.” she replied hotly. She usually wasn't so blunt about her expressions and feelings, but Mr. Croak annoyed her in a way no one else could.

The principal's face twisted in rage. “You brat! You come to this school, therefore your presence at this school—or lack of, is most definitely my business. Unfortunately, it is also my responsibility to make sure you come to school every day. Do not worry, your father will hear about this!”

“Oh, will he, really?” Ashlyn asked coolly. “I take it you think he’ll care, too?”

She grinned to herself. She knew she shouldn't provoke him, for fear of being remembered specially; but she just couldn't help it.

You're supposed to blend in, not stand out. A tiny voice in her head whispered. She ignored it.

Instead of answering, Mr. Clark rose from his seat behind his desk, and with a last sneer, turned on his heel and left the room. With a start, Ashlyn wondered what the logic was in leaving his own office, not to mention leaving her in it—alone, but what did it even matter? She was just glad he was gone.

She immediately relaxed and leaned back in her chair. She was sure he  would indeed go looking for her father, but she knew her father: he wouldn’t give a damn. After all, as a huge business man, he had much more important, bigger things on his mind. He always did. What did a seventeen year old’s issues matter to him anyway—even if the girl was his own daughter? If contacted by the school, he would probably just come up with an excuse for her behavior and such -- without even knowing what he was covering up for her. Then, if nessecary, he'd bribe them with money; and then go on with life without even directly acknowleding her.

Not that she was complaining. Being ignored by her father was really an advantage.

She glanced around and wondered what she was supposed to do now. Wait till Croak came back? Or maybe she should just leave…Judy, the secretary who was always seated behind her desk outside of the Croak's office, was pretty cool, and probably wouldn’t stop her from escaping.

Ashlyn ran a hand through her glossy, straightened blond hair and flicked her blue eyes towards the door that he had just walked through. She quickly decided that his angry departure from the room was his unique way of dismissing her.

She rose immediately and bolted for the door. The sooner I’m out of here, the better. She thought grimly and frowned at the irony of the words.  

What am I talking about, leaving the office, or the school? She grimaced. Whatever, she would be leaving both soon. Hopefully.

Beep!

Ashlyn quickly dug into her jeans pocket and pulled out her cell phone. She flipped it open and pressed VIEW.

Gazing at the new text, her grin widened until she thought her face would crack.

Her day had suddenly gotten a whole lot better.

-------------------------

so what do you think people? is this story worth  continuing? Comment, vote, and fan!

oh, and special thanks to 'fmoosavi' for her creative ideas and insight:) cheers!