1.Death

Death.

Not the first word you expected right? It's a funny way to start actually; but then again, some people believe that death is the start of a new life. A fresh start to do it all over again. Many scientists don't really believe that. I didn't but here we are. One moment, I was looking at the fresh corpse of my mother and the horrified look on my brothers face before I was suddenly engulfed in a pain and darkness.

My name is... or well, was, Althea Smarts. Odd last name right? I felt like the name defined the rest of my life. From a young age, I was considered to be a genius. With a high IQ that was around the 200 mark, people had expectations of me. At the age of 23, I uncovered something I was not meant to. A secret so dangerous that it put not only my life in danger but also my family's. This is what you get when you try to fly too close to the sun. The closer you are to that giant ball of hydrogen and helium, the greater the impact when you fall. And god, how I fell.

I love my- loved my family, and I wanted to shield them. But little did I know that I would be the one to bring danger to their front door. 

It was a simple secret. The company I worked for was one of the best in the world of science. With innovative ideas brewing in my mind, I, inturn, belieed that everyone worked there to benefit society. Naive, I know. I thought that the company would bring new light into the world through science and technology advancements. But that light also had some dark shadows.

At first, they tried to convince me that what they were doing was for the betterment of society. That the world would be a better place. In my mind, all I could think was that they were about to commit murder and that goesa against my moral code. They had developed a type of poison that was meant for the Prime Minister of Great Britain. For someone who is praised for having the most brilliant ideas, I can be quite stupid sometimes.

After promising not to tell anyone, I immediately spoke to the president of the company. Well, that didn't end well for me as he was in on the plot too. Corruptiion had sunk it's greedy claws into the world and I was too sheltered to notice. I was too busy hiding behind the comfort of knowledge to acknowledge that people didn't work for the betterment of society, they worked for the betterment of themselves.

I thought that by tattling on them to the president would make them stop or well, get them arrested and the whole incident would be forgotten. But who was I kidding? They were trying to kill the Prime Minister of Britain and I just foiled their plans. Of course, they would want revenge.

On the 23rd of December, people forcefully entered my house and brutally murdered my father. They slit his throat as if he was nothing. Mercy was not in their agenda as they shot my mother and then turnt to my brother. My sweet innocent brother that had a life to live. A life that I ruined. I had called the police when they entered. I muttered out the address and told whoever was listening that we were going to die. I hope they sensed the urgency but no one came. Not as single officer came as I watched my brother silently cry as he faced the barrel of a gun.

It was my fault and my brother didn't deserve to die this quickly. Staring at the men in anger and disgust, I finally heard the sounds of sirens. While I may not have been able to save my parents, at least I could save my brother.

With adrenaline and sheer teorror coursing through my veins, I ran in front of the gun just as the trigger was pulled. All I could see was the look of horror on my brothers face as a sharp pain erupted from my chest. Looking down, I could see my shirt turn froma mint green to this dark red. If I could, I would have spent my time watching the way my shirt soaked up the blood like a sponge.

I could taste the metallic taste of blood in my mouth as I coughed out a dark red liquid. Slowly, like the sun setting, I felt the corners of my vision begint ot blur and darken. And then, nothing.