Lockdown Happiness

Have you ever felt alone?
When everyone you love is busy and gone?

Being the youngest sibling, the teenage part of my life was spent sulking in the house because my siblings were always occupied with their studies. They have always been passionate about their goals which was a hindrance to the sibling fun my early teen hood demanded.

Let me give you a flashback of few months ago when the world was normal and there was no anxiety over the issue of social distancing.

My elder siblings were in different cities busy with their lives. My sister was serving as a house officer in a renowned hospital while my brother just graduated from a medical university. At home, I was most of the time with my Mom because Dad would go to hospital where he serves as a doctor. So this pretty much gives you the idea that life was busy and devoid of lovely moments with family.

But then came the news of corona and lockdown was issued compulsory all over the world. This caused my siblings to return back home. For me, despite the sorrow for the spread of the disease, a yipeee!! time was announced.

So, now though Dad being a doctor still goes to hospital but our family once again has come together under one roof. This is a great time for us to cherish our relationships for we know that this time will pass soon and we would find ourselves continuing with our lives in different cities and creating the basis of our own families.

And now to mention, one memory holds significance during this pandemic because it overwhelms me with the feelings of kindness, love and happiness.

One day, my siblings and I decided to cook. Now, this might seem ordinary to you but actually the trouble is, we all lack culinary skills. Despite the fact that they are in early twenties and I in late teens, we have absolutely no idea of cooking. So, Mom and Dad decided to sit back and enjoy the show of their children ruining the kitchen and bringing shame to Mom's fame in cooking in the entire family.

We decided to cook traditional dish and now I think it was a grave mistake. Traditional dishes have their specific tastes which if altered, bring down the deliciousness of the actual dish.

For most of the part my sister did the cooking, while my brother and I unintentionally succeeded in ruining her mood. It was because she would say hand me this spice and we both would be like,
"Eh, what was the name again?"
"What does it look like?"
"Is it orange or the red one?"

And the funny part? My sister wasn't even sure of herself most of the time.
Once, the conversation went like this;

Me: (looks skeptical) Are you sure this one is saffron?
Sis: (glares) of course!
(Snatches the jar from me)
**Mom has transparent glass jars in which she has put spices (but no labels😂)

Bro: (looks at the recipe card) It's not even mentioned in the ingredients!

I gasp in shock and look at her.
Sis: Relax, I once saw Mom adding saffron to this dish.
Bro: Are you sure it was saffron?

I giggle and the next second she smacks the wooden spoon on my head.

Me: oww,, what the hell was that for?
(Rubs the sore spot on my pretty head)

My sister ignores me and adds two tablespoons of saffron.I look at my brother only to find him typing on his cellphone.

I secretly lean close to him from behind to spook him, but he suddenly jumps, scaring me instead.

Bro: Shit ! Shit! You added paprika instead of saffron!

He shows the google image of what we added in the recipe and what was actually saffron.