5| A Proscriptive Relationship by XxSkater2Girl16xX

Reviewed on December 22, 2014

--

Available • 67 parts • 246 pages • 39.8M reads • 360K votes • 71K comments

Language: English

Description: Holly's new, young teacher has a dark past, and a dangerous future. She soon finds herself charmed by his ways, and gets thrown into the chaos. Who knew having an ex-gangster for a teacher could be so troublesome? As Holly and Mr. Heywood grow closer, more questions about his past come upon Holly, as does danger. What is Mr. Heywood keeping from Holly? And why is it so bad? But most importantly, if she falls for him, could their relationship survive? After all... it would be a proscriptive relationship.

Review:

What I appreciate the most about this story is the relationship isn't hurried by the author. Love takes time, so does the relationship buildup between Holly and Chris Heywood, although there has been an admiration towards each other going on since the beginning. I like how Holly's aware and initially afraid of the consequences of a teacher-student relationship. She's not portrayed as a thirsty and naughty high school student who just wants to get it on with her hot and young teacher, but a cute and innocent student who simply admires her teacher. I also like how Chris is mature and responsible enough to know when to resist. Although Chris is a former gangster, he's not the kind that's driven by sexual need. He respects the law and takes Holly's innocence in consideration. Although I just want them to get together already because of just how cute they are (!), I understand and appreciate the author's decision to take things slow.

APR doesn't only revolve around Holly and Chris falling in love and eventually getting in a relationship. Action is also a huge part of this story, which is pretty obvious when you read the first chapter, which is quite action-filled actually, lol. I like how there's another important plot going on in this story aside from the romantic one, and the action actually makes the ride more exciting, considering the fact that Shawn, the bad guy, is portrayed by Ian Somerhalder! (Not a fan, but I just thought you should know, hah.) Through action actually, Holly's character is developed into more than a cute, innocent student crushing on her teacher. She's portrayed as and developed into a brave, young girl. There are so many times in the story where Holly decides to forget her fears and weaknesses and attacks the bad guys just to save Chris. She ends up hurt most of the time though, but it just proves her bravery and developing love towards Chris. I mean, if I were her, I would just call the cops, but I guess she's just deeply worried about Chris getting back in the jail for being associated with gang fights again, which I think is really cute (the worrying Holly part, not Chris), heh.

Oh! And of course, JEREMY! I love Jeremy's character here, and I know you're gonna love him too! He's the funny guy in this story filled with annoyingly witty remarks and sexual innuendos to make things awkward between Chris and Holly and especially to make Holly blush, lol. If APR was a Despicable Me movie, Jeremy would be the minion, and Chris would be Gru! That's just how cute and funny their friendship is! He gets *shipped* with Casey, Holly's high school friend, later in the story though, and I think they're perfect for each other, 'cause only Casey can make Jeremy lost for words when he's always the guy with comebacks for every single thing.

And by the way, if you're iffy about the student-teacher relationship, CHRIS HEYWOOD IS NOT AN OLD MAN. This is not a creepy relationship. There's just a 4 to 5-year gap between the two of them, lol just to clarify things.

There's also a second book to this, titled as A Surrpetitious Relationship, which has less action, but more romance (Holly's turned 18!) and comedy ('cause of course Jeremy, lol), and an ongoing third book, titled as An Everlasting Relationship.

Favorite Quotes:

Chris: Holly, I know I probably shouldn't say this, but even though you're in danger by being with me, I don't want you to stay away. It's selfish, but it's how I feel. I've always been a selfish man, anyway.

--

Chris: You don't care that I'm a lying, devil of a teacher?

Holly: I don't... I don't mind.

Chris: Good. I wouldn't let you go, anyway. I'm a shameless man, Holly.

Holly: Which is fine, Mr. Heywood.

--

Chris: Your mom's something, huh? She's funny.

Holly: She's kind of crazy. It's like she expects us to get married.

Chris: I wouldn't mind.

Holly: What?

Chris: Not now, but in the future, I wouldn't mind.