1 • Stalked

Shatter

All rights reserved

Copyright © December 2014 (original from 2006) by ESchwarz

[ An author's note: Hey, guys! So get this...when I was in my tweens, I wrote a supernatural/mystery story with drama, romance, humour, and a little bit of history. Guess what? It's this one. I posted this on another site YEARS AGO but some characters had different names then, and it was entitled Nexts (like why?) There's actually a sequel to this -- a final book. But if this turns out well, and I get plenty of reads, votes, and/or comments, I'll post the sequel. 😊 I'll be posting the first two chapters. Happy reading! P.S. I hope you like the cover! ❤️ ]

1 • Stalked

A whiplash of cold wind rushed through me as I ran faster and faster, trying to get away from him -- trying to escape him.

I looked behind my shoulder and there he was, standing ten yards away from me, just staring. I didn't know how he knew my name or even my whole being, but I knew that he knew me. Just looking at those penetrating black eyes said everything. It looked as if he knew everything about me.

One thing was for sure: I didn't know who he was and I certainly didn't know why he was tracking me down all of a sudden.

I halted, my footsteps trailing snow tracks behind me. I turned around slowly, fearing this man. He was still there, staring at me, like he was trying to read me. He had cropped, straight black hair, and eyes that were deadly black. His black coat was whipping to one side from the cold wind, and it startled me back into reality. As the wind hit my cold, pale cheeks, I heard it whispering words to me. It was impossible. This was impossible.

Run...

I heard nothing anymore after that. It may have been crazy and weird but I followed the wind's instruction. I ran as fast as I could, the cold biting my ivory skin. I had no jacket on, with nothing warm to protect me, but I ran as fast as I could, just to get away from the man.

There was an alleyway which gave me the chance to turn blindly in different directions, desperate but determined as I got deeper into the forest.

It was like a fairytale world, where everything was so serene and beautiful, full of blankets of never-ending snow, but this wasn't the time to admire the beauty of Woodville.

I didn't know where to go but the wind seemed to take me to where I needed to be.

There I went with the wind again. The wind, for God's sake. What could be crazier than that?

It pushed me -- I ran harder as I was led, praying I wouldn't slip from the snow. I may have been hallucinating but I had no choice.
My family was gone; I had no one but myself. I closed my eyes, hating myself for crying. The cold air made a single tear frozen, just there, on my cheek, making me shiver.

My nails were starting to go a hideous shade of blue and my lips were chattering dangerously but I ran until I was at a safe place, in the heart of the forest, away from where I was before. I knew the man who followed me would possibly know where I was right now, but all I cared about that night was that I needed to be safe.

I thought my eyes were deceiving me because, across the river fenny, was a mansion that was as white as snow. I could barely notice it -- it was camouflaged perfectly.

I wasn't sure if anyone lived there. I didn't know if I'd be in even more danger by trespassing but I had to try. Making a final decision, I walked toward the elegant front porch, my shoes making noises as I walked onto the front steps. A closer look into the place told me this house was old, historic, and abandoned. Just my luck.