Philippine Arena

The Philippine Arena is the world's largest mixed-use indoor theatre. Construction was completed in time for the Church's Centennial Celebration in 2014.

The Philippine Arena is the largest indoor arena in the world, with a maximum capacity of 55,000. Built this year for $213m (£132.3m) it opened officially in July.

MANILA – (UPDATE, 1:48 p.m.) As a prelude to its 100th anniversary next week, the influential Iglesia ni Cristo formally opened its Philippine Arena, with an estimated 50,000 INC members attending the unveiling of the marker at the multi-purpose complex.

INC Executive Minister Bro. Eduardo V. Manalo, together with President Benigno Aquino III and Vice President Jejomar Binay, led the ceremony at the more than 50-hectare Ciudad de Victoria.

The construction of the Philippine Arena, which allegedly cost more than $200 million with its own exit at the North Luzon Expressway (NLEx), is said to be able to withstand an 8-magnitude earthquake.

Aquino presided over the opening on Monday of what is billed as the world's largest indoor stadium, erected by a politically-influential religious sect.

The Philippine Arena, which can seat 55,000 people, was hailed as a showcase that will serve as a major venue for concerts and sports events as well as gatherings for its owners, the Iglesia ni Cristo (Church of Christ) sect.