03: Weakness and Individuality

Start from the beginning

Her blood ran cold. Nanami's frame trembled slightly in the reflection of Ran's icy cerulean gaze. He hated her. "I..." Nanami swallowed her words, unsure of what to say. She was infuriated, but she wanted to cry at the same time. "I can take care of myself then!" She screamed in a harsh whisper. Without another word, she let her feet carry her away swiftly, completely catching Ran off guard.

Ran clicked his tongue in annoyance.

---

Ran had returned to the Neo Vongola's headquarters, assuming that Nanami had returned already, but when Kiou asked him of the whereabouts of Tsuna's daughter, he realized that Nanami was still outside on her own. He quickly dismissed Kiou's concerns, hiding the fact that they got separated on the way back. Ran was sure that Nanami would come back within the hour---but she didn't.

---

Nanami wandered about the streets of Namimori aimlessly until she had finally reached a tempura stand. The aroma of the fried batter wafted through the street. Her stomach growled.

"Hungry?" Nanami spun around to see her good friend and cousin, Sasagawa Tomoe. Her eyes widen in shock and she lunged for Tomoe, crying.

"Tomoe!" Nanami sobbed into Tomoe's shirt.

Tomoe had heard from her father, Sasagawa Ryohei, of Nobu deserting the Neo Vongola. She knew what it meant for Nanami, who was next in line to become secondo---she knew how much Nanami must have hated the thought of having to become a replacement.

"I know," Tomoe said in the most gentle voice she could muster. "I know it's a lot to take in... But you must be brave, Nanami."

---

They spoke for about an hour about Nanami's situation, about the people she had met, about Nobu who had become a traitor, about Nanami's self-abhorrence. All the while they were speaking, they enjoyed their favorite childhood snack, shrimp tempura, while sitting on a park bench not too far away from where they had purchased the treat.

"He's right, you know," Tomoe said, "I'm talking about Ran." Tomoe looked at Nanami with worry. "There are very terrible people out there who want you gone. It doesn't matter whether or not you accept the title of Secondo as long as you are Primo's daughter."

"I'm weak, Tomoe." Nanami smiled bitterly. "I can't become Secondo."

"You're weak, or you don't want to become Nobu's replacement?" Tomoe asked.

She knew that Nanami suffered from an inferiority complex ever since she was young. Tsuna and Kyoko had always doted on her, buying her whatever she wanted and treating her like a princess, but eventually Nanami realized that Nobu, on the other hand, was treated much differently. Tsuna and his guardians would always stop what they were doing to talk with Nobu and try to pass on whatever little skill or knowledge they could to the young boy, and he would adapt and learn instantly. Their Uncle Hayato even dubbed him a genius. Nobu wasn't treated like a porcelain doll---he wasn't treated like he was only a mere decoration.

"You're not weak, Nanami. You're a wielder of the sky flames too. So don't make such an excuse. Don't run away."

"You ran away, Tomoe! You were supposed to become Nobu's Sun Guardian. So why can't I run away?" Nanami said bitterly. She regretted her words immediately when she realized how much they must have hurt Tomoe. "I'm so sorry, Tomoe..."

"I did." Tomoe smiled, admitting her mistake. She didn't get angry at Nanami. Instead, her face showed a gentle expression of melancholy and acceptance. "I ran away and now Shin refuses to talk to me or even look me in the eye. Do you want that to happen to you? Do you want the Neo Vongola to shun you? If not then you must be brave. You must prove to them that you are you and not a replacement."