Berlin

Nyssa lay in their bed in the apartment they had hired for the week. It was beautiful, the view was something Sara had never seen before. They had a corner apartment, with glass covering the entire edge. She'd been to Berlin before, but it was in college, and the room she had been staying in was in a motel.

Sara turned to Nyssa with a sweet smile. "You know we're going to have to find a doctor to check out your knee, right?" She sat down on the bed and carefully placed a hand on Nyssa's thigh.

They'd been jumping off another rooftop when years of, well, jumping off rooftops, finally caught up with Nyssa's body. Her knee hadn't given away, but the instant they had landed on the ground, Sara could see that she was in pain. They finished their mission, protecting one of Germany's most important politicians. It wasn't a league mission, no. Nyssa had chosen it for them. No more killing, Sara had said. That was exactly what Nyssa followed. She rebelled against her father, became a protector. She had been Sara's protector before.

However, after getting Nyssa back to their apartment and peeling off her pants, Sara stared at a wound she just couldn't fix. She could handle surface wounds, sure. Stitching up a cut was right up her alley. But the swollen blue and purple knee she'd seen was not something she could solve.

"I have enough knowledge to diagnose my... my problem, beloved. It is true, I must see a physician. But not tonight." She leaned on her elbows, watching her partner.

Sara leaned toward Nyssa with a sweet smile. "What are we doing tonight, then?" she asked.

"We will enjoy the view, my love." Nyssa looked at Sara with a soft glint in her eyes. Nyssa shifted, and her face contorted in pain.

"Alright," Sara started. "As much as I would love to spend the entire night looking at you, this injury is going to be a real problem." She leaned forward, placing a light kiss on Nyssa's forehead. "Can I please call a doctor?"

Nyssa sighed, watching Sara bat her big blue eyes. "If you must," she answered. "Please help me get some shorts on first."

Sara had called the doctor recommended by the doorman. Her German was flawed, but luckily she managed to communicate the issue. The man gave her the number for a doctor and told her this one would show up within the hour. Cool , Sara thought. A takeout doctor .

Sara went back up to the room. "I called a doctor, they're on their way!" Sara walked into the bedroom.

Nyssa rubbed her temples, but her expression brightened when she saw her beloved. "Thank you. I must say, I do not feel good about this," Nyssa said.

Sara sat down on the bed and shifted close to Nyssa. She gently pulled Nyssa's head to her chest. "Of course you don't, look at your knee, babe."

Nyssa smiled, letting her head rest on Sara's chest. She wrapped her arms around Sara's waist. "That is not what I meant. Having a stranger evaluate my knee... I do not enjoy having strangers look at my body."

Sara knew what she meant. She had seen all of Nysa, of course. Every scar, wound, and freckle. She understood Nyssa's fear, but she was not letting Nyssa stay this way, not with this knee.

"I understand, babe. It'll be okay. We just have to take care of that knee." She gently tapped Nyssa's thigh. "If you'd prefer, I can cover your right leg with a blanket, so there are fewer scars to look at?"

Nyssa raised her head to look Sara in the eyes. "Yes please," she spoke.

Unlike Sara's German, Nyssa's was flawless. The doctor, Mira Schneider, quickly diagnosed her and told her that she had overexerted herself. The tendons keeping her kneecap in place had lost the fight and her kneecap has shifted. She would have to do specific exercises to return to her usual strength and wear a knee brace until she had another check-up. To get the swelling down, she would have to ice her knee.